Carlsen resigns on move 2

The very latest International round up of English news.
Geoff Chandler

Re: Carlsen resigns on move 2

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:56 pm

https://ethics.fide.com/wp-content/uplo ... _final.pdf

Magnus is fined 10,000 (ten thousand) Euros for walking out of the Sinquefield Cup.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:57 pm

The report could perhaps mention that as Magnus has an interest in chess.com that any "supporting evidence" from chess.com is more questionable than usual. But I suppose FIDE would make the report as wishy-washy as possible.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:09 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:56 pm
Magnus is fined 10,000 (ten thousand) Euros for walking out of the Sinquefield Cup.
He wasn't found guilty of anything else, just withdrawing from a tournament without good reason.

There wasn't an Ethics Commission in Fischer's day, you wonder what they would have done to him had there been one.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:12 pm

Has there been any comment by Carlsen on this sanction yet?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:21 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:09 pm
Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:56 pm
He wasn't found guilty of anything else, just withdrawing from a tournament without good reason.

There wasn't an Ethics Commission in Fischer's day, you wonder what they would have done to him had there been one.
Yes, striking that he was found not guilty of the other 3 charges
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:25 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:12 pm
chess.com report
I am happy to be finished with the case." Carlsen told TV 2 in Toronto. "It's clear that there were worse scenarios," he added, saying he would have played more online if he had been banned.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:48 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:25 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:12 pm
chess.com report
I am happy to be finished with the case." Carlsen told TV 2 in Toronto. "It's clear that there were worse scenarios," he added, saying he would have played more online if he had been banned.
I think the one event that he wouldn't want to miss out on is the World Rapid/Blitz. Apart from that I think he could have handled an OTB ban by doing as you quote above.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:01 pm

At least it's easier to prove someone trashed a hotel room than it is to prove that they are a cheat.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:58 am

Hans on twitter.

It's funny to see EMPLOYEES of chesscom push this narrative. No mirrors, tiles, or marble tables were damaged.
I was told by the manager of guest relations at the Chase Park Plaza that were was a 99% chance that I would be allowed back and that official confirmation would be sent via email the next day.

Surprising, 3 days later, my request was denied and they haven't replied to me since.
I did break TV remotes, a lamp, an ironing board. Additionally, the glass frame of a painting was shattered which according to the hotel pierced the couch and caused damage.

As I've apologized many times to the club and hotel, I thought I could put this behind me. But let's not forget that I received 0 invitations from the STL Chess Club before this incident. They are trying to make this about my supposed " pattern of behaviour", when this is just their attempt at covering how they have not invited me to a single tournament in all of 2023 and won't in 2024.

The letter from St Louis banning Hans; https://www.chessgames.com/perl/kibitzi ... reply=1390
and the first reply from Hans; https://www.chessgames.com/perl/kibitzi ... reply=1391

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:10 pm

If St Louis Chess Club think this will somehow restore their shredded reputation, they are living on another planet.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:14 pm

The final paragraph of the St Louis CC letter is extremely paternalistic and condescending, like a parent addressing a child:
St Louis Chess Club wrote: This decision was not made lightly and we hope this serves as an opportunity for GM Hans Niemann to experience personal reflection and growth. We will reevaluate this determination for events in future year assuming notable progress is achieved
It is not the place of a chess club, in normal adult society, to lecture about personal reflection and growth and to "evaluate" progress. It feels like the Chess Club are putting themselves in the role of therapist/pastor and that is either a massive over-reach or a reflection on the way the SLCC see themselves as more than just a chess club (which should give some pause for thought).

[Nick F said it better and shorter than me. I should add that I don't condone damaging hotel property.]

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:18 pm

Cash wise there is no such thing as bad publicity.

According to the people who know these things Hans has over 800 paying subscribers on substack (I've no idea what that is.) and making enough to donate $1,600 to the Gift of Chess in Nigeria. https://www.chessgames.com/perl/kibitzi ... reply=1391

He also issued a challenged to Nakamura to a blitz match for $10,000. https://twitter.com/hansmokeniemann/sta ... lTm-mPsg4Q

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:56 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:58 am
The letter from St Louis banning Hans; https://www.chessgames.com/perl/kibitzi ... reply=1390
While the St Louis chess club is totally free to invite the players of their choice, I really do not understand the need of a press release announcing that they will not invite Niemann to their future events; it just gives more fuel to Niemann's speculation of a concerted attack against him.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:14 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:56 pm
Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:58 am
While the St Louis chess club is totally free to invite the players of their choice, I really do not understand the need of a press release announcing that they will not invite Niemann to their future events; it just gives more fuel to Niemann's speculation of a concerted attack against him.
A tweet from Hans playing down the damage done to the hotel room: https://twitter.com/HansMokeNiemann/sta ... HuwbhdPW1w

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:13 pm

Hans’ YouTube videos seem to show the Gherkin in the background. So far as I could tell the traffic seemed to be driving on the left too, and the blackboard in the restaurant he went to had prices in £. Is he living in London now? Transferring his registration to the ECF really would be a coup.

As an aside, Hans was at the London Chess Classic Christmas Party last December. He posed for photos, seemed very liked by the organisers (to the extent he was scolded by them for buying his own drinks) and was cracking jokes with Luke McShane.