2022 Sinquefield Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Re: 2022 Sinquefield Cup

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:32 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:28 pm
Out of interest, has the tournament made any official statement for the media?
Although not a statement this is the nearest to what you ask: https://twitter.com/GrandChessTour/stat ... 9630616579

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:02 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:32 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:28 pm
Out of interest, has the tournament made any official statement for the media?
Although not a statement this is the nearest to what you ask: https://twitter.com/GrandChessTour/stat ... 9630616579
There's this press release and also this daily recap, with the statement that Carlsen didn't give a specific reason for his withdrawal.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:00 pm

A piece by Jacob Aargaard on Hans Neimann and Carlsen's withdrawal. Well worth reading, IMO - Jacob has provided training to Hans.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:03 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:30 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:05 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:46 pm

His opinion throughout the Magnus-Hans game was that he didn't see anything suspicious and was just very confused at what Magnus was doing, his opening choice which left him playing for a draw/loss and his subsequent play. It wasn't until the Magnus withdrawal that he mentioned the six month chess.com ban and the admission of guilt that led to him being allowed access to his account. What really seemed to set his alarm bells ringing was the post game analysis for his round 4 game where he looked anything but a 2700 player, (in stark contrast to Alireza shortly afterwards).
To be honest I’m not really sure I agree with that either. I thought some of the way he expressed himself was quite human in a way (albeit an incredibly self-confident and rather arrogant one). Attacking and sacrificing pieces are done on instinct far more than people often imagine I think. And it is probably quite efficient to not remember every detail you might calculate during the game.

On the other hand alireza just sounded like he was quite spooked and clearly affected by the suspicions that Carlsen’s withdrawal had aroused.
Yes, I agree that one can sacrifice pieces in analysis without much calculation. It was more that he would sacrifice and then say that no variations are required, the position is clearly winning and then asking for the engine to be turned on. That may say more about his personality than anything though and he may be trolling. It probably needs someone with a degree in psychology to try to understand his personality and reach any conclusions.
I find it quite ironic in a way that when Alpha Zero turned up was astonished everyone was quite how “human” its approach was and quite how little calculation it seemed to do (compared with the traditional brute force approach) - and, importantly, was able to get away with it to a quite astonishing extent. It doesn’t seem ridiculous that some strong players couldn’t have learnt lessons from that and developed a playing style to match. And really in a way that round 4 interview was very “Alpha zeroish” I thought. It would be interesting to hear Sadler’s view on it.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:15 pm

I would need read anything how Hans reacted in his after game interview
with Firouzja. He makes it clear at the start of the interview how he was feeling.

To him he had blown a won game and now, though mentally exhausted he is
being asked to show how he messed it up. It’s not uncommon to see all players
mumble their way through these immediate after the game interviews.

Now of course he is under tremendous pressure. If he does not win any more games
after ‘apparently’ the security has been beefed up then he will found guilty by forum trial.
(I do not think that will bother him too much).
But the main chess media will also notice this and that he cannot ignore.

Personally I doubt very much he cheated. What kind of idiot would cheat v the
World Champion, the object of the exercise is surely NOT to attract attention to yourself.
He comes across as not being a fool and a very refreshing regarding attitude regarding the
top 10 players and those close shop invite only tournaments that have done nothing
but stifle up and coming talent by not giving them the opportunity or the experience.

I fear he should not have revealed and said after his Carlsen game interview the chances
of it are one in a million that he was looking at the very opening Carlsen played.
All that did was fan the flames. (did Carlsen walk before or after the interview?)
Last edited by Geoff Chandler on Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:35 pm

Angus French wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:00 pm
A piece by Jacob Aargaard on Hans Neimann and Carlsen's withdrawal. Well worth reading, IMO - Jacob has provided training to Hans.
Thanks for posting. I found Aggard to be on the mark there and was in agreement with what he says.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:37 pm

Angus French wrote:
I agree with a lot of this; however cheating in online tournaments where you can win money is not comparable to 'cheating in homework club'. Cheating online is less serious than cheating OTB, but it is still serious.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:39 pm

That is a good piece by Jacob. 'Paranoia and insanity'

I advise reading it before going any further.
(wish I had though I am of the same 'the lad did not cheat' p.o.v.)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:42 pm

Angus French wrote:
It isn't every day that I find myself in full agreement with both Aagaard and Short but when they're right, they're right.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:42 pm

Aagaard does make reasonable points, except

"It is reasonably well established that Hans cheated online at some point. This is simply a different thing. Compare it to cheating in Homework Club. There are times when people have cheated on their homework and I ignore it. Because it is not a big thing."

Yes it is.

I have no idea if MC lost to a cheat or not, but somebody needs to look at the situation. At present, it is not making anyone look good.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:52 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:42 pm

"It is reasonably well established that Hans cheated online at some point. This is simply a different thing. Compare it to cheating in Homework Club. There are times when people have cheated on their homework and I ignore it. Because it is not a big thing."

Yes it is.

I have no idea if MC lost to a cheat or not, but somebody needs to look at the situation. At present, it is not making anyone look good.
OK, but where would you go with this information? What conclusion can you draw from it? What progress towards a conclusion can you make with it?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:20 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:52 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:42 pm

Yes it is.

OK, but where would you go with this information? What conclusion can you draw from it? What progress towards a conclusion can you make with it?
If nobody investigates, it looks as if either they do not want to find anything, or they want to cover it up (as in your recent request to ECF re Eley). But organizations wrongly think if they ignore a problem, it will go away, and it never does, as even if people are silent on the matter, they are still thinking the worst of the organization.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:27 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:20 pm
But organizations wrongly think if they ignore a problem, it will go away
Which is the other organisation you have in mind?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:47 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:56 pm
I agree that the Niemann case is altogether different but as Carlsen has raised a huge red flag it's going to have to be dealt with.
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:20 pm
If nobody investigates, it looks as if either they do not want to find anything, or they want to cover it up ... But organizations wrongly think if they ignore a problem, it will go away, and it never does, as even if people are silent on the matter, they are still thinking the worst of the organization.
Chris and Kevin, would either of you care to say exactly what you think that the GCT should be doing?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:24 pm

No thought given to this, but if the GCT is able to say the following, perhaps it should, rather than saying nothing?

"The GCT has been considering measures to prevent cheating before every event, and this year has implemented further measures during the Sinquefield Cup. It will continue to review its procedures in future events. For the avoidance of doubt, no evidence of cheating has been found against any participant".