2022 Sinquefield Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
Carl Hibbard

Re: 2022 Sinquefield Cup

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:34 am

GCT should publicly ask Carlsen for clarification or expansion or this one is going to drag on.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 am

When you thought it could get any more surreal in steps Elon Musk

https://twitter.com/elonmusk?ref_src=tw ... r%5Eauthor

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:47 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 am

He's nailed it. Case closed.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:59 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:34 am
GCT should publicly ask Carlsen for clarification or expansion or this one is going to drag on.
They've already more or less declined to do that. Tony Rich was interviewed a couple of days ago and said something to the effect that he wasn't going to disclose what Carlsen had said to them to avoid the risk of misrepresenting him.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:44 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Hi Matt,

What does it say. I do not have a twitter account, I get to view something for 5 seconds than I'm asked to sign in.

That twitter thing has lost people jobs and got others in all kinds of trouble. Can you imagine me on there.
I need a Carl or Jack to keep an eye on me and keep me out of trouble.

Speaking of which. Surfing about the other sites and some forums allow all kinds of things through.
Nakamura is getting pelted by nearly everyone and most of it is...ahem...not very polite.
Some people are very brave hiding behind a nickname.

If you cannot post what's on twitter Matt then PM me your twitter password so I can have a look. :D

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:54 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:47 am
Matthew Turner wrote:

He's nailed it. Case closed.
I can imagine if there was anything in this anal beads thing that David Sedgwick and his fellow arbiters charged with cheat detection might be thinking "hang on, I didn't sign up for this"

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:06 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:44 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:
Hi Matt,

What does it say. I do not have a twitter account, I get to view something for 5 seconds than I'm asked to sign in.

That twitter thing has lost people jobs and got others in all kinds of trouble. Can you imagine me on there.

Speaking of which. Surfing about the other sites and some forums allow all kinds of things through.
Nakamura is getting pelted by nearly everyone and most of it is...ahem...not very polite.
Some people are very brave hiding behind a nickname.

If you cannot post what's on twitter Matt then PM me your twitter password so I can have a look. :D
I don't have a twitter account either so I press sign in, then cancel, and I can read whatever is posted

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:28 pm

Thanks Matt,

That worked on the 2nd attempt.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:18 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:44 pm
Here :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:02 pm

The WSJ - which tells us that Ken Regan has found nothing untoward (was that generally known?) manages to speak to Danny Rensch but does not seem to ask him what he is playing at.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:31 pm

For what it's worth, I have played a serious game against someone who had been caught cheating by an arbiting team I was on in a previous event. He played humanly enough in our game, which I went on to win.

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:40 pm

>making it clear that in his opinion they had something to be unsettled about.

Obviously they have something to be unsettled about. In general, playing a player - any player - where the question of computer assistance has been raised is bound to be unsettling.

>Second, the question this member of the public wanted an answer to was how Niemann himself was handling being the subject of cheating accusations for which not a shred of evidence had been offered. Ramirez saw no reason to ask this.

I don't follow. Ramirez conducted a half-hour interview with Niemann in which Niemann explained his feelings about this at some length. Perhaps your comment was written before that.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:28 am

An interesting chess.com statement on Hans Niemann which disputes the accuracy what he said early this week about the extent of his online cheating. Unfortunately, there's nothing saying what they think he did or when he did it. Nor is there any comment on the timing of the latest ban.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:47 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:28 am
An interestingchess.com state mentions Hans Niemann which disputes the accuracy what he said early this week about the extent of his online cheating. Unfortunately, there's nothing saying what they think he did or when he did it. Nor is there any comment on the timing of the latest ban.
Isn't that the guy at chess.com who seemingly banned ejhchess for using book moves (literally so, he quoted the book as evidence in his defence) in "daily" chess, which runs on traditional "postal" rules.

It remains an interesting point as to what extent if at all, infractions or supposed infraction at online servers should affect status at OTB events. If GCT had been aware of the evidence chess.com had against Hans, should they perhaps have declined to invite him?

But then in the game in question I don't think Hans is guilty of any more than beating the world champion without having being a player of sufficient status.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:22 am

I don't think Danny Rensch was personally involved in Justin's case, but generally a difficult area for me to trust chess.com. Persuading people that they are site without cheating is so critical to their business it probably impacts their ability to be fair.

I'm trying to wait for more information to be in the public domain before forming an opinion on the Hans/ Magnus situation. It seems very unlikely there is proof of cheating or Hans would have been excluded. But there are other more mundane things that we might hear later. Whether complaints were made when Hans was invited at the last minute, if the tournament was asked to do things which it did not, etc, that might influence my opinion on the withdrawal.