Nigel Short resigns as a FIDE Vice-President

The very latest International round up of English news.
Paul Cooksey

Re: Nigel Short resigns as a FIDE Vice-President

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:07 am

I suppose I should be taking this seriously. But at a time when the chess world has to face deeply serious questions about our relationship with Russia, somehow Nigel has managed to become embroiled in a dispute over the US Virgin Isles.

It somehow reminds me about John Nunn's comment about Andersson's playing style and going straight for the little toe.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:20 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:07 am
I suppose I should be taking this seriously. But at a time when the chess world has to face deeply serious questions about our relationship with Russia, somehow Nigel has managed to become embroiled in a dispute over the US Virgin Isles.

It somehow reminds me about John Nunn's comment about Andersson's playing style and going straight for the little toe.
It does seem a very odd battleground! Nigel does have support for his position though :shock:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:27 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:20 am
Nigel does have support for his position though :shock:
At last, the dream team comes together.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:29 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:20 am
It does seem a very odd battleground! Nigel does have support for his position though :shock:
He also has some surprising support from a GM taking time out from the war in his country.

There is an unsurprising response from a prominent member of this Forum.

https://twitter.com/mikhail_golubev/sta ... 4809863175

(I express no opinion regarding the content of either tweet.)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:27 pm

Unsurprising and accurate, unless you think either that Short was (contrary to the findings of the panel) acting within the rules, or that he is entitled to disregard them.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:29 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:29 am
He also has some surprising support from a GM taking time out from the war in his country.
Not surprising to those who have followed GM Golubev's comments over the years, for instance in Alex Baburin's excellent daily email magazine. A wonderful chess player, but the less he knowledge he had on any subject, the more strident and certain were his opinions.

I somehow doubt that he has made a deep study of chess in the US Virgin Islands.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:20 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Nigel has managed to become embroiled in a dispute over the US Virgin Isles.
Notwithstanding the chess club size of her Federation, the US Virgin Isles chess president (Margaret Murphy) has been or is a big cheese in FIDE.

There would appear to be history between her and Nigel.
https://www.chess.com/news/view/breakin ... 528?page=9

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:12 pm

He isn't giving up, nothing left to lose I suppose.

https://twitter.com/nigelshortchess/sta ... 7083590658

"The latest is Connor Eickelman - board 1 for the Chennai Olympiad- who was neither born in. nor resides in, the USVI."

I'm playing for Bermuda, despite the fact that I was not born there and am not resident there. Will I be next in the firing line, or is he focussed on only one small federation.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:40 pm

To be fair to Short, he has made the same complaint about members of his own team before, so I think I'm willing to accept that this is a general point of principle for him.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:01 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:40 pm
To be fair to Short, he has made the same complaint about members of his own team before, so I think I'm willing to accept that this is a general point of principle for him.
Which ones?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:12 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:01 pm
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:40 pm
Which ones?
I suspect this refers to the women's team.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:36 pm

He's not exactly resident himself.

AlanLlewellyn

what happened to nigel short at fide

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:44 pm

I was under the impression nigel short was fide vice president and last i heard he had taken over the running of fide as acting president due to russian sanctions.
Now i hear their is a different vice president so what happened in the dirty world of fide politics and why is no-one discussing it.
I know there are new elections going on but no mention is made to nigel short or indeed any western chess attempt to become president.
It just an idea but if the world championship is held without magnus as seems likely with nepo winning the candidates could mean a russian player being world champion and we could have a dooble whammy of a russian president as well and russian total domination of chess scenes.
I am not anti-russian i am just against anyone dominating chess its bad for chess so why not do a deal whereby have a western president when there is a russian wc and vice versa, just an idea.

Roger de Coverly

Re: what happened to nigel short at fide

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:33 am

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:44 pm
Now i hear their is a different vice president so what happened in the dirty world of fide politics and why is no-one discussing it.
The most recent news on Nigel and FIDE is
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12792

Discussions of the forthcoming election for FIDE President is
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12637

Gerard Killoran

Re: what happened to nigel short at fide

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:03 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:44 pm
I was under the impression nigel short was fide vice president and last i heard he had taken over the running of fide as acting president due to russian sanctions.
I know there are new elections going on but no mention is made to nigel short or indeed any western chess attempt to become president.
It just an idea but if the world championship is held without magnus as seems likely with nepo winning the candidates could mean a russian player being world champion and we could have a dooble whammy of a russian president as well and russian total domination of chess scenes.
I am not anti-russian i am just against anyone dominating chess its bad for chess so why not do a deal whereby have a western president when there is a russian wc and vice versa, just an idea.

The world is slightly larger than Russia and 'the West'. I suggest you look at an atlas, it might suprise you.