European Individual Championship

The very latest International round up of English news.
Reg Clucas

European Individual Championship

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:45 pm

This started yesterday. It seems to have gone under the radar somewhat, what with other events both on and off the chessboard. A strong field, though none over 2700 and no strong Russians. http://chess-results.com/tnr607286.aspx ... ES&flag=30

Reg Clucas

Re: European Individual Championship

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:00 pm

Zoe Varney and Shreyas Royal both drew with GMs in the first round. Shreyas' game against Jobava is very entertaining.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:07 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:07 pm

Shreyas drew with a 2600 Italian GM in round 2, Zoe lost.

That means that after two rounds the 13-year-old English junior has a TPR of 2594, well up on a GM norm.....

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:29 am

English results

Irish results
The European Individual Chess Championship 2022 is a qualifying event for the FIDE World Cup 2023. According to FIDE regulations for World Cup and the ECU Board decision, 20 players will qualify

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:32 pm

Both Shreyas and Zoe lost today which is a pity but they are both doing still over achieving at the moment. Irish results

Emil Sutovsky wearing his FIDE hat, again had plenty to say on FB at the start of the tournament here:

"The personal European Championship starts today in Slovenia. About 35 Ukrainian players play - a record number in the history of the championship of the continent. I am glad that they are playing, and I am glad that FIDE managed to help it in some way - I am not sure in which, but at the request of Ukrainian chess players I personally addressed an official letter to the Minister of Sports of Ukraine Guttsait asking for permission to leave dozens of chess players outside the country (name list was attached).

Together with that, I absolutely do not approve or accept the position of the Ukrainian Federation and the majority of the players who said that they will not play chess with Russians and Belarusians, no matter what flag they play.

In sports, we are always talking about sports citizenship. What does "independent" mean? So, if a man, at the beginning of the war, played for Russia, now he has no forgiveness? Or if he has a Russian passport? And it doesn't matter that he publicly voiced disagreement with the war? And it doesn't matter that he or she left Russia themselves? It seems to me that this is the way to nowhere. I know that many Ukrainians are annoyed by the opportunity temporarily provided to Russian and Belarusian players - to perform under the FIDE flag - but as I have explained many times, an instant transition to some federation is very rarely possible.

I understand the pain and rage of Ukrainian players, I try my best to support - at the FIDE level and personally, but we will not exclude everyone in a row."

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:43 pm

Emil is absolutely right. The purpose of international chess is either to nurture hatred between people of different nationalities or it isn't, and my view is the same as his.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:21 pm

Shreyas started with 5 draws and a loss, but has won his last 2 games; next up is black against 2nd seed Anton Korobov

Live in just under an hour; good luck Shreyas

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:39 pm

At the moment a tie for first is looking possible. I don't know if I'm just operating below capacity today, but I can't find the rules for tie-breaks. The regulations helpfully refer us to somewhere else entirely:
10. Tie-Break System

The order of players that finish with the same number of points shall be determined by application of
the tie-breaking criteria according the FIDE World Cup regulations
which regulations are these, apparently (there's a link) and which seem to refer entirely to a tie-breaking system involving drawn matches in a knock-out format, rather than anything relating to a Swiss system tournament such as, for instance, the 2022 European Individual Championships.

What am I missing?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:06 pm

Anyway Bluebaum and Sargissian finish on 8.5/11 ahead of five or six players on 8. What happens now, you tell me.

(Royal is going to draw his last round game. Varney does not seem to have been paired.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:20 pm

Chess 24 has Zoe Varney as a starter in one of two events for women starting tomorrow morning and organised by the ECF.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:22 pm

Good question Justin, I know from past experiences that the tiebreaks on Chess Results are not necessarily right

I would have to look up past Championships EDIT 2021 was won by Anton Demchenko on tiebreak from Keymer

The main thing, bizarrely, is not the title but the top 20 qualifying for the World Cup
Last edited by Mick Norris on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:40 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:06 pm
Anyway Bluebaum and Sargissian finish on 8.5/11 ahead of five or six players on 8. What happens now, you tell me.

(Royal is going to draw his last round game. Varney does not seem to have been paired.)
ECU

Gold - Bluebaum
Silver - Sargissian
Bronze - Saric