44th Chess Olympiad, Moscow

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: 44th Chess Olympiad, Moscow

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:45 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:12 pm
I did not know that was the source tbf, and am now duly chastened :)
Don't worry, I'm sure they got it from somewhere.

In my defence, I get daily newsfeeds from all sorts of places, not only The Express, just to know what people are reading. The UK's censorship of Russia Today has made that a little more difficult. It can be overcome, but I may be liable to prosection.

Rockin in the Free World!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:09 pm

https://twitter.com/FIDE_chess/status/1 ... 3604690951

"We can confirm that the 44th Olympiad will be held in Chennai, India.

The FIDE Council meeting is still ongoing, and the exact dates are being discussed, but the event will take place at the end of July-beginning of August. Not very far off from the dates originally planned."

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:44 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:09 pm
"We can confirm that the 44th Olympiad will be held in Chennai, India.
Excellent news, a wonderful part of the world.

Why have they never bid before?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:20 pm

Could someone please tell me when it is?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:00 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:20 pm
Could someone please tell me when it is?
"The exact schedule is still being discussed and will be announced in the coming days, but the event will take place between the end of July and the beginning of August, not very far off from the dates originally planned. The venue will be the convention centre at the Four Points by Sheraton, located in the Mahabalipuram area, one of the main touristic destinations in southern India."

Remarkably, I was wondering a few days ago whether they might go to Mahabalipuram, which I thought would be perfect if there were a suitable venue. Everything there now is post the 2004 tsunami, which was a wipeout, and I am already excited about going back.

One abiding memory of my stay there is the 24 hour click of chisels on stone as replicas of Hindu gods are produced, to be shipped around the world. Hanuman and Ganesh arrived in Bermuda eight months later.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm

Thank you for the information. I will most likely be in the region, is it possible to attend such events as a spectator?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:09 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm
Thank you for the information. I will most likely be in the region, is it possible to attend such events as a spectator?
Yes. There is usually a gallery, but services offered to spectators vary. To be honest, even players with a day off find it better to follow the games online.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:12 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm
From those that I have been to spectators aren't allowed in the playing area (unless a player, captain or arbiter etc) but might be able to watch from afar, either via seating or peering into the distance from the end of a row. Depending on the size of the venue there tends to be plenty of other chess related stuff going on in the building.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:13 pm

Yes, I thought it might be like that.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:20 am

Arkady Dvorkovich, the president of FIDE, speaks out against the war. This expresses the views of all chess players (apart from Putin apologists). He lives in Moscow so this is a significant step.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:39 am

John Foley wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:20 am
Arkady Dvorkovich, the president of FIDE, speaks out against the war. This expresses the views of all chess players (apart from Putin apologists). He lives in Moscow so this is a significant step.
I think there’s more on the media comments thread. I’m not really across all this, but the gist seems to be that Dvorkovich might have now moved to a pro war position seemingly overnight;
https://mobile.twitter.com/TelegraphChe ... 9753403394

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:02 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:39 am
the gist seems to be that Dvorkovich might have now moved to a pro war position seemingly overnight
Or possibly that you can't believe everything you see on Twitter.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:38 pm

Statement by Chairman of the Skolkovo Foundation Arkady Dvorkovich
March 15, 2022 [Source: Chess News]
I, like all post-war children, was brought up on patriotism: in memory of those who died during the Great Patriotic War and on hatred of Nazism. I am sincerely proud of the courage of our soldiers, who at all times defended their homeland and freedom.

We equally mourn for all the dead and injured in the hostilities that have been going on for 8 years. I thought and still think that wars are an absolute evil. The words of the song “Do Russians Want Wars” are full of great meaning for me. But the main thing is that a strong peace and a more just order will eventually be established on our planet, in which there is no place for either Nazism or the dominance of some countries over others.

Today, Russia continues to live under harsh but senseless sanctions. But we will rise to this challenge. We are ready to respond with technological breakthroughs and our own development. It has always been so.

While working in the government, I did everything to ensure that sanctions were not an obstacle, but an opportunity to create our own economy. And the results of this work in many sectors have made it possible to create the springboard for ensuring national security that we have today - in agriculture and construction, in energy and petrochemistry, in infrastructure development.

I cannot respect foreign companies that have left the Russian market. Some of them lost him for a very long time, perhaps forever. Our main task is to get rid of technological dependence. This can only be achieved through teamwork, in which everyone who is capable of being a leader will be involved - each in his own place.

Skolkovo has always been at the forefront of innovation in Russia, and today it is ready to make every effort to build its own competitive economy in our country.
His interview in English on Mother Jones indicated that he is against the Russian invasion of Ukraine. In this interview in Russian he describes the sanctions as "senseless". However, the sanctions follow from the war so he is in a state of contradiction.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:56 pm

John Foley wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:38 pm
Statement by Chairman of the Skolkovo Foundation Arkady Dvorkovich
March 15, 2022 [Source: Chess News]
I, like all post-war children, was brought up on patriotism: in memory of those who died during the Great Patriotic War and on hatred of Nazism. I am sincerely proud of the courage of our soldiers, who at all times defended their homeland and freedom.

We equally mourn for all the dead and injured in the hostilities that have been going on for 8 years. I thought and still think that wars are an absolute evil. The words of the song “Do Russians Want Wars” are full of great meaning for me. But the main thing is that a strong peace and a more just order will eventually be established on our planet, in which there is no place for either Nazism or the dominance of some countries over others.

Today, Russia continues to live under harsh but senseless sanctions. But we will rise to this challenge. We are ready to respond with technological breakthroughs and our own development. It has always been so.

While working in the government, I did everything to ensure that sanctions were not an obstacle, but an opportunity to create our own economy. And the results of this work in many sectors have made it possible to create the springboard for ensuring national security that we have today - in agriculture and construction, in energy and petrochemistry, in infrastructure development.

I cannot respect foreign companies that have left the Russian market. Some of them lost him for a very long time, perhaps forever. Our main task is to get rid of technological dependence. This can only be achieved through teamwork, in which everyone who is capable of being a leader will be involved - each in his own place.

Skolkovo has always been at the forefront of innovation in Russia, and today it is ready to make every effort to build its own competitive economy in our country.
His interview in English on Mother Jones indicated that he is against the Russian invasion of Ukraine. In this interview in Russian he describes the sanctions as "senseless". However, the sanctions follow from the war so he is in a state of contradiction.
So this interview seems to boil down to ‘yes, I think this is a just war.’ Are people thinking he’s flip-flopping all over the place because he’s under pressure?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:15 pm

I suggested that yesterday, yes.

Though the other, rather dismal, possibility is that he is knowingly saying different things to different people.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)