London Chess Classic

The very latest International round up of English news.
Keith Arkell

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:31 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:31 pm
Keith Arkell wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:42 pm
Technically it's not the English Rapidplay Championship, it's an invitation event which the organiser has decided to call; the 'English Rapidplay'.
It looks clear enough from the ECF website that this is an official ECF event.
If the official title was at stake then something isn't quite right. How can it be possible that as a GM and current online British Champion I have no way of playing for this title? There needs to be a qualifying route for all, or, in the absence of this, as the event was put together at the last minute, a transparent method of selection - eg a combination of FIDE title and FIDE Rapidplay rating.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:42 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:31 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Keith Arkell wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:42 pm
Technically it's not the English Rapidplay Championship, it's an invitation event which the organiser has decided to call; the 'English Rapidplay'.
If the official title was at stake then something isn't quite right. How can it be possible that as a GM and current online British Champion I have no way of playing for this title? There needs to be a qualifying route for all, or, in the absence of this, as the event was put together at the last minute, a transparent method of selection - eg a combination of FIDE title and FIDE Rapidplay rating.
The tournament doesn't appear on the drop down menu "ECF tournaments" which I would expect it to if it was an official event. It is advertised on the ECF website and is organised by an ECF director though.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:49 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:42 am
Keith Arkell wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:31 pm
NickFaulks wrote:

The tournament doesn't appear on the drop down menu "ECF tournaments" which I would expect it to if it was an official event. It is advertised on the ECF website and is organised by an ECF director though.
The President of the ECF attended the event and took part in the group photographs with the players and officials.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
The tournament doesn't appear on the drop down menu "ECF tournaments" which I would expect it to if it was an official event.
Yes it does, unless I am confusing it with something else.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:43 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am
LawrenceCooper wrote:
The tournament doesn't appear on the drop down menu "ECF tournaments" which I would expect it to if it was an official event.
Yes it does, unless I am confusing it with something else.
Odd, I don't see it on the list. For OTB The only "English" ones are Women's and Seniors albeit I'm not sure what the requirements are to be listed there.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:49 am

This is what I'm looking at. It is the top item.

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/event-c ... t_ids~365/
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:33 pm

Is the answer to Keith's point very simply that there's no copyright or equivalent on the use of words such as "English", "British" or "United Kingdom" when describing chess events so that, in the last analysis, any organiser can include these words? I'm not suggesting that's desirable, merely that it may be a matter of fact. If so, it seems invidious if the ECF decides which events organised by others are "official" and which not.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Keith may have had a lucky escape
Nigel Short on Twitter wrote:The Covid "body-count" at the London Chess Classic is starting to resemble the Battle of the Somme...

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:32 pm

Who is Nigel refering to?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:34 pm

Not a fan of war analogies myself - this is a good example of how inappropriate they can be.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:47 pm

Is this an early demonstration that with this variant sitting across from a variety of relative strangers playing chess/commentating on chess for hours isn’t so low risk this time around?

7 out of 10 cats wish they’d worn a mask now!
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:03 pm

Not necessarily, but judging by some of the photos the Pro-Biz event would have involved four people in pretty close contact, and certainly less socially distanced than many club nights where one board and two people at a table have increasingly become the norm. And I'm guessing some hospitality functions would have involved close contact as well. But we don't know the identities of those concerned - their behaviour at the Classic might have increased risk but they might also have caught COVID shopping.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:32 pm
Who is Nigel refering to?

I could tell you but since this is personal health information that you are requesting I will pass.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:54 pm

From the event Twitter page it looks very much like the only player wearing a mask was surprisingly ‘not the biggest mask fan’, Danny Gormally. So was 3 out of 10 being generous?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:15 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:54 pm
From the event Twitter page it looks very much like the only player wearing a mask was surprisingly ‘not the biggest mask fan’, Danny Gormally. So was 3 out of 10 being generous?
I wasn't there when those photographs were taken.

However, I think that it would be normal to remove a mask briefly when posing for a photograph taken by a photographer standing some distance away. i was asked to do so when I was photographed.