Carlsen v Nepomniatchi 2021 World Championship

The very latest International round up of English news.
Andy Howie

Re: Carlsen v Nepomniatchi 2021 World Championship

Post by Andy Howie » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:44 am

I don't know if Nepo will go for it or wait until Friday where he has the White / Black / White combination. My gut says he is going to try to strike back today so I had a large lunch in anticipation of not getting back in time to eat tonight :D

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:26 am

I'm just catching up now and tremendously impressed by yesterday's game. Ulf Andersson wasn't name checked in the recap I watched, but he really should have been, given the Bxf6, Nd3 long grind plan in the Catalan.

I have an extended analogy in which Magnus is Man City which I will spare everyone. But holds up at least as far as "try as hard as you can not to let them have the lead because they are very good at smothering the opposition". Interesting to see how Nepo handles that challenge. In the past I would have expected him to try something high risk, but the received wisdom seems to be that being more level headed is what improved his results and got him to the match. So difficult to know what to expect.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:33 am

I think it is symptomatic of the commentators all being relatively young. They have not grown up with much knowledge of Ulf Andersson and provided that they know that white can do very well by putting the knight on d3 in catalan endings - provided the pawn is still on e2 - there is relatively little incentive for them to know or find out who started it.

I would expect a quiet game today and would even forgive it! Nepo should be happy with a quick draw and to get some rest and clear his head. Still three more whites even after today.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:35 am

After the teaser, I'd like to read more about the Magnus and Manchester City analogy. Roll with it.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:16 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:35 am
After the teaser, I'd like to read more about the Magnus and Manchester City analogy. Roll with it.
Will Nepo look back in anger? Some might say that Magnus converted his advantage little by little :oops:

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:19 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 am
MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:54 am
MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:22 am
I wonder what today's game will be like after yesterday's events. Probably quite a short game!
Not sure - if Magnus does get a sniff of something playable then he might decide its a good time to try and press?!
Surely it will be Nepo who is really keen to win. What am I missing?
I would imagine we will see something more like the old Nepo today.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:32 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:34 am
MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:54 am
MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:22 am
I wonder what today's game will be like after yesterday's events. Probably quite a short game!
Not sure - if Magnus does get a sniff of something playable then he might decide its a good time to try and press?!
Surely it will be Nepo who is really keen to win. What am I missing?
Well, if Nepo either very slightly bungles trying to kill the game dead or really presses and has it go wrong then would he get let off? Maybe not.

Quick draw hugely possible of course :)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Be interesting to see how Nepomniachtchi approaches game 7.

Nice and easy to play himself back in the match and steady the ship or will he have a risky surprise
to used only if he fell behind. Might see a King's Gambit in a World title match for the first time since.
Chigorin - Steinitz 1892 (I think that is right....since before WWI that must be right.)

I too want to see the Carlsen Manchester City piece. I googled 'Carlsen + Manchester City'
it hit twitter, someone said Magnus is a Man City fan (possible a gag) but Magnus replied 'Yes.'
(possibly another gag as I could not see, or be bothered to see the whole thread.)

By chance further down the same page I hit on this by Olimpiu Urcan

'This epic Magnus Carlsen versus Ian Nepomniachtchi game lasted longer than the
whole 7 episodes of "The Queen's Gambit" mini-series on Netflix.' Good spot.

Edit, OOPS! the game has started! It's not a Kings Gambit.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:03 pm

actually have we ever had a king's gambit in a world championship? Sure, some champions have played it in their careers, including Spassky, but I imagine we would indeed have to go back to 1892 to look for a world chamoionship game. But even then? They were having such fun with the Evans, after all.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:16 pm

We have, yes, and the 1892 match is one that featured it.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:04 pm

Has anybody else been experiencing problems with Chess24 over the last two days? The site not loading, the moves freezing, that kind of thing?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:39 pm
Be interesting to see how Nepomniachtchi approaches game 7.

Nice and easy to play himself back in the match and steady the ship or will he have a risky surprise
to used only if he fell behind. Might see a King's Gambit in a World title match for the first time since.
Chigorin - Steinitz 1892 (I think that is right....since before WWI that must be right.)

I too want to see the Carlsen Manchester City piece. I googled 'Carlsen + Manchester City'
it hit twitter, someone said Magnus is a Man City fan (possible a gag) but Magnus replied 'Yes.'
(possibly another gag as I could not see, or be bothered to see the whole thread.)

By chance further down the same page I hit on this by Olimpiu Urcan

'This epic Magnus Carlsen versus Ian Nepomniachtchi game lasted longer than the
whole 7 episodes of "The Queen's Gambit" mini-series on Netflix.' Good spot.

Edit, OOPS! the game has started! It's not a Kings Gambit.
I think he let himself down. I thought he would make more of an effort to equalize the scores.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:11 pm

Sofia rules go brrrr.

(There is no chess reason for moves 30-41 to have been played today other than the "no agreed draws before move 40" rule.)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:15 pm

It fizzled out more than any of other game so far. Anand seems to think it's because of yesterday's game but also pointed out that Nepo's chances are starting to run out now so he has to start doing more.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:22 pm

Now, does Carlsen seriously go for a win tomorrow?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)