GoldMoney Asian Rapid

The very latest International round up of English news.
MJMcCready

GoldMoney Asian Rapid

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:39 am

There's been quite a few interesting games so far, with Carlsen losing more than once already, and drawing other games with failed attempts to pull his opponent out of the book very early on in the game and Giri dropping a clanger against 1.b3 also. David Howell and Jovanka Houska are doing a very good job of commentating along with Kaja Snare....except for when they substitute the word 'file' for 'line' with expressions like 'play the rook to the f-line'. Any predictions on who will make it through from the Asian contingent? Liren looking very solid so far.

Day 3 coverage in case you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbCSXRp_xrs

LawrenceCooper

Re: GoldMoney Asian Rapid

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:27 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:39 am
David Howell and Jovanka Houska are doing a very good job of commentating along with Kaja Snare....except for when they substitute the word 'file' for 'line' with expressions like 'play the rook to the f-line'.

They have been asked to use left and right instead of queenside and kingside so I suspect that line and file is part of the same request.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:34 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:27 am
They have been asked to use left and right instead of queenside and kingside so I suspect that line and file is part of the same request.
Having spent lots of time with American players, line rather than file but not sound strange to me, but left and right does. It doesn't even make sense - what if you are playing the black pieces?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:16 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:34 am
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Having spent lots of time with American players, line rather than file but not sound strange to me, but left and right does. It doesn't even make sense - what if you are playing the black pieces?
Then it's black's left and right as opposed to white's :?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:31 am

So it's the Left Indian Defence, but with colours reversed it's the Right Indian Attack.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:53 am

"So it's the Left Indian Defence, but with colours reversed it's the Right Indian Attack."

I'm reassured that you can still say "Indian".

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:25 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:53 am
I'm reassured that you can still say "Indian".
Sorry, missed that. It should be the Right Delta Attack.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:26 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:
David Howell and Jovanka Houska are doing a very good job of commentating along with Kaja Snare....except for when they substitute the word 'file' for 'line' with expressions like 'play the rook to the f-line'.

Yeah, I can only assume that some people watching have complained that they don't understand or something. But if that's so, they could say on air it's not an arrestable offence to make an effort to learn terminology and notational points.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:23 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:26 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:

Yeah, I can only assume that some people watching have complained that they don't understand or something. But if that's so, they could say on air it's not an arrestable offence to make an effort to learn terminology and notational points.
They have been doing this since the three of them started commentating on the Magnus tour. They even got praise from Emil Sutovsky for their ability to refrain from saying queenside, kingside etc and remembering to use left and right.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:35 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:23 pm
They have been doing this since the three of them started commentating on the Magnus tour. They even got praise from Emil Sutovsky for their ability to refrain from saying queenside, kingside etc and remembering to use left and right.
So are we trying to reach members of the chess watching public who cannot distinguish between the queen and the king?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:07 pm

"They even got praise from Emil Sutovsky"

Is that good or bad?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:01 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:07 pm
"They even got praise from Emil Sutovsky"

Is that good or bad?
He doesn't give out praise lightly so bordering on miraculous.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:31 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:35 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:23 pm
So are we trying to reach members of the chess watching public who cannot distinguish between the queen and the king?
If that's how you view new or less experienced players then quite possibly.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:45 pm

It gives the impression that chess is being dumbed down for the audience, which considering it is an intellectual pursuit has some justification on one level and none whatsoever on another.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:50 pm

I've noticed that kaja Snare seems to struggle to keep up with what's going on in the programme.