GoldMoney Asian Rapid

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Re: GoldMoney Asian Rapid

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Aronian & Artemiev through after winning their second set and then the play-off.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:34 pm

So both winners of the first set get knocked out.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:11 am

I can't say I was too impressed with Carlsen's play. He didn't seem his usual self at all. I got the impression he wasn't taking it very seriously or something. Aronian said he thought he had an off day.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:42 pm

Its certainly unusual for Carlsen to get beaten so lopsidedly in these affairs, even when he does ultimately lose them.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:58 pm

To some degree Aronian caught him out with many of his unorthodox moves but I have watched Carlsen enough over the years to know when he is really trying, and I didn't see much evidence of that. Had this been OTB with rating points up for grabs, I think we would have seen a different Carlsen.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:16 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:58 pm
... Aronian caught him out with many of his unorthodox moves ...
Intended pun? :D

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:26 pm

Not at all, some of his moves were strange and hard to work out according to the commentators. Carlsen seemed stuck for a plan a few times, and the commentators also couldn't work out what Aronian was doing at times. There was one instance where he played some surprising moves which caused Carlsen to make a mistake but ultimately I don't know how up for it Carlsen was. One of the positions wasn't complex enough for him to make the type of mistake he did. I could be wrong but he didn't seem like he was playing at 100%.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:32 pm

Jon Speelman suggested that he might be finding it difficult to think properly after last night's ridiculous Arena session, where he won something like thirty games in a row. Actually to think at all, rather than just play on instinct.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:18 pm

Carlsen still managed to scramble third place in the end, with Aronian a worthy winner.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:16 pm

Artemiev made some critical mistakes in the final. Magnus resigned in positions he normally wouldn't do.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:09 pm

TWIC
Levon Aronian defeated Magnus Carlsen in the semifinals and went on to dominate Vladislav Artemiev in the final. Artemiev hasn't had a lot of chances on the tour in spite of being one of the better speed chess players in other events, his appearance in the final ought to get him more chances. Magnus Carlsen won a tie-break against Ding Liren on the final day after losing the second set of rapid chess 3-0. The next event on the tour takes place July 31st - August 8th 2021, it has yet to be announced what it will be called.
Any postings on here represent my personal views