Checkmate Covid - The Rematch

The very latest International round up of English news.
Thomas Rendle

Checkmate Covid - The Rematch

Post by Thomas Rendle » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:26 am

Charity event for British Red Cross - it's a 24hr marathon on Chesscom from 5pm today.

All details here: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/checkma ... e-rematch/

They have an impressive list of commentators/streamers lined up including Mickey Adams, Gawain Jones, Luke McShane, Matthew Sadler and a host of others (details on the page above): https://www.twitch.tv/ecf_commentary - link from 5pm or just before.

Please consider playing, donating or taking part in some way. Lots more info to be found @ecfchess on twitter. https://twitter.com/ecfchess

David Sedgwick

Re: Checkmate Covid - The Rematch

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:44 am

Please see my Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/DavidSedgwickIA/sta ... 5375595523 for my objective.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:04 am

A worthy initiative indeed, not least as a counter to some of the nonsense peddled in this place and elsewhere by members of the chess community.

And a nice Tweet David, although as I had trouble loading it, I'd have preferred the content being repeated in this place where any follow up comments would more naturally go. ( For the avoidance of any doubt, that is a general observation about potential frustrations with the use of linking not a criticism of David).

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:25 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:04 am
A worthy initiative indeed, not least as a counter to some of the nonsense peddled in this place and elsewhere by members of the chess community.

And a nice Tweet David, although as I had trouble loading it, I'd have preferred the content being repeated in this place where any follow up comments would more naturally go. ( For the avoidance of any doubt, that is a general observation about potential frustrations with the use of linking not a criticism of David).
I am happy to oblige:

Last year I was the second highest placed arbiter. Shohreh Bayat has now retired to the commentary box, so I am hoping to go one better this year.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:46 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
A worthy initiative indeed, not least as a counter to some of the nonsense peddled in this place and elsewhere by members of the chess community. .
But nowhere else, one sometimes feels, with such enthusiasm.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:06 pm

It's not every day you get to hear Mickey Adams commentating on a David Sedgwick game :wink:

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:29 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:25 pm
J T Melsom wrote:

I am happy to oblige:

Last year I was the second highest placed arbiter. Shohreh Bayat has now retired to the commentary box, so I am hoping to go one better this year.
You might have another challenger - just edged ahead :D

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:42 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:29 pm
I always expected that there would be other challengers. I could of course change the rules so that arbiters who are also GMs are not eligible. :lol:

At the moment, however, Kevin Thurlow is ahead of both of us.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:47 pm

My streak has been ended by Peter Chaplin and catching Kevin seems a distant dream

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:29 am

Kevin has been caught!

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:41 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:42 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:
I always expected that there would be other challengers. I could of course change the rules so that arbiters who are also GMs are not eligible. :lol:

Need to get a rattle on or evoke the arbiters who are CMs are not eligible rule :D

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:49 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:41 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:42 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:

Need to get a rattle on or evoke the arbiters who are CMs are not eligible rule :D
Perhaps Level 1 arbiters should be excluded. After all, you can get that without having done any arbiting at all. :)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:15 pm

Congratulations to Keith Arkell, who won the event convincingly, and to Kevin Thurlow, who finished in an impressive 25th place and was the highest placed arbiter (unless another claimant emerges).

Many thanks to everyone who supported the event by playing, organising, commentating, donating prizes or in some other way.

I may comment further in a day or two, when I have caught up with my sleep.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:24 pm

Yes, it was a fun event. My life time score against Keith Arkell has worsened to 0-15 (a tennis score). Hope we don't reach the next one - I'm quite happy to play Keith, and hope we do for many years, but it would be nice to win one... I'm definitely forming the impression that he's better than me.

And I echo the thanks to everybody.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:03 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:24 pm
Yes, it was a fun event. My life time score against Keith Arkell has worsened to 0-15 (a tennis score). Hope we don't reach the next one - I'm quite happy to play Keith, and hope we do for many years, but it would be nice to win one... I'm definitely forming the impression that he's better than me.

And I echo the thanks to everybody.
At least playing him at blitz shortens the agony.