Qualifying for 2022 Candidates

The very latest International round up of English news.
Nick Burrows

Re: Qualifying for 2022 Candidates

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:25 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:53 pm
Days are wasted when both players follow their opening preparation into dull drawn positions, shake hands and go home early.

I think this aspect is the main reason Carlsen wants to abdicate. For all his challengers, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to become world champion - and their level of preparation reflects this. For Carlsen he has to match this workload every 2 years. No wonder he's bored of it. Modern preparation makes the traditional WC format unsustainable for the champion.

We need to move with the times, the game has changed.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:37 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:25 pm
Gerard Killoran wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:53 pm
Days are wasted when both players follow their opening preparation into dull drawn positions, shake hands and go home early.

I think this aspect is the main reason Carlsen wants to abdicate. For all his challengers, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to become world champion - and their level of preparation reflects this. For Carlsen he has to match this workload every 2 years. No wonder he's bored of it. Modern preparation makes the traditional WC format unsustainable for the champion.

We need to move with the times, the game has changed.
Interesting thoughts. I agree that watching the candidates is much more interesting than watching the world championship match itself. However, there is another argument that to be the champion you should have to beat the champion. Otherwise you end up with something like a world cup, with a revolving selection of 'champions', much like, say, snooker, where any of several players can win the title, depending on a run of form. I think deep down we all know that none of Carlsen's challengers have been at his level, and if any of them had managed to win their match they would not have been universally accepted as the best player in the world. I think Carlsen is waiting, or can't be bothered to wait, for his real successor.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:50 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:37 pm
However, there is another argument that to be the champion you should have to beat the champion. Otherwise you end up with something like a world cup, with a revolving selection of 'champions', much like, say, snooker, where any of several players can win the title, depending on a run of form. I think deep down we all know that none of Carlsen's challengers have been at his level, and if any of them had managed to win their match they would not have been universally accepted as the best player in the world. I think Carlsen is waiting, or can't be bothered to wait, for his real successor.
I agree with this.

As this is a problem borne of engine use, perhaps we need to follow the lead of the TCEC Engine WC, and give both players a range of opening positions to see who is the best player - not who has the best memory. Though I somehow don't see this as being very popular.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:44 pm

I guess WC match income is a lower proportion of Magnus's income than some of his great predecessors too

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:52 pm

I actually think that Carlsen would be happier to defend his title every three years rather than two. And that was, after all, good enough for the chess world for over half a century from the start of the FIDE title in 1948.

I'm still taking him abdicating with a pinch of salt, though - for an active world number one to do this would be unprecedented after all (officially speaking Lasker resigned his title in 1920, but nobody took this seriously either at the time or now) Some have made comparisons with Kasparov not being WC whilst still number 1 in the world, but he *lost* a match and ultimately retired because he couldn't win the crown back.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:18 am

Spassky said that a WC match took a year out of your life ( no I can't, I just remember reading that somewhere years ago ). Admittedly he was taking about much longer matches, but if Carlsen feels the same way, one every two years must be getting tedious.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:27 pm

Ding's finished his marathon stint with a live rating of 2806.2, which puts him ahead of Firouzja at 2804

Caruana & Rapport currently both at 2776; Nepo 2773, Naka 2759.8, Radjabov 2753 and Duda 2750

All in the top 15; strong field
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:02 pm

Drawings of lots and pairings: https://www.fide.com/news/1716

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri May 06, 2022 5:45 pm

Karjakin loses appeal to FIDE
Pending a new appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport, the ruling leaves the way open for China's No.1 Ding Liren who, as the highest-rated player in the FIDE rankings list not yet to have qualified, stands in line to take the Russian's place.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 06, 2022 6:34 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:45 pm
Karjakin loses appeal to FIDE
As Karjakin says, time is tight for an appeal to CAS.

I would be quite surprised if CAS actively upheld the Ethics decision, but they are good at ducking such things by saying they are outside their scope.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri May 06, 2022 8:31 pm

I don't suppose this result will surprise many.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 10, 2022 5:09 pm

Tiebreak procedure for the 2022 Candidates
Here are the key points of a new play-off system:

In case of a tie for first place in the Candidates Tournament, a play-off will be played that may consist of up to three stages.

Stage I

If there are two players tied for the first place they will play a match of two rapid games (15 min + 10 sec).

In case of a 3-6-way tie, a round-robin rapid tournament will be played (15 min + 10 sec).

Stage II (played in case of a tie after Stage I)

If there are two players tied they will play a match of two blitz games (3 min + 2 sec).

In case of a three-way tie (or more) a round-robin blitz tournament will be played (3 min + 2 sec).

Stage III (played in case of a tie after Stage II)

In case of a tie, depending on number of players, either knockout match or knockout tournament will be played. Each match consists of a single blitz game (3 min +2 sec). The colours are determined by drawing of lots. In case of a draw, another game will be played with the colours reversed. If there is another draw, the opponents will play until the decisive outcome.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue May 10, 2022 7:06 pm

In case of a tie, depending on number of players, either knockout match or knockout tournament will be played.
How does a knockout tournament with three players work?

David McAlister

Post by David McAlister » Tue May 10, 2022 7:31 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:06 pm
In case of a tie, depending on number of players, either knockout match or knockout tournament will be played.
How does a knockout tournament with three players work?
FIDE's laconic take on this - Regulation 4. 4. 2. 1. 3. for the 2022 Candidates:
A knockout tournament shall be played. If there are more than two players, the knockout bracket shall be determined by
drawing of lots.
Someone gets a bye in round 1 presumably.

Full regulations for the Candidates here: https://handbook.fide.com/files/handboo ... t_2022.pdf

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed May 11, 2022 9:46 am

Meet the Candidates chess.com

(Do we want a new thread for the Candidates, as opposed to qualifying for it?)