Four rounds to go: would you bet on Nepo or the rest?

The very latest International round up of English news.

You have to place a bet, at even odds - where does your money go?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:34 pm

Yan Nepomniachtchi
50%
The other seven players combined
50%

Total votes: 10

Matthew Turner

Re: Four rounds to go: would you bet on Nepo or the rest?

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:41 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:43 am
Angus French wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:48 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 pm

Giri would need three and a half, I think?
Ah, OK.
I've gone for Nepo; the leader (or co-leader) at this stage has won the last 4 candidates as pointed out by Douglas Griffin

If he did draw out, then Giri would indeed need 3.5 as he has an inferior tiebreak; Nepo has white v both Caruana & MVL to come, so on your assumption these games are drawn, Caruana or MVL would need 2.5/3 from their other games, which seems a big ask
I think this is an good way of thinking about it, but I also think it can be a bit misleading. I am not sure that Nepomniachtchi is the type of player who will draw out and I expect him to lose one of the last four and be psychologically strong in dealing with this setback. So my question then is, if Nepomniachtchi scores 2/4 without drawing all his games does he still have a greater than 50% chance of winning?
I went for the field on the basis that a couple of the players seem to have gone all in and might well be on tilt now, so that one the chasers can rack up a big scores in the last four rounds.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:50 am

I went for Nepo as he's leading, but my predictions are usually wrong, so I hope I haven't ruined his chances. This has been an interesting event as I'm not really bothered who wins, usually I'm cheering somebody on, which is way too stressful.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:41 am
So my question then is, if Nepomniachtchi scores 2/4 without drawing all his games does he still have a greater than 50% chance of winning?
I went for the field on the basis that a couple of the players seem to have gone all in and might well be on tilt now, so that one the chasers can rack up a big scores in the last four rounds.
My model suggests:
4 draws - Nepo wins 70% of the time
2 White wins / 2 Black losses - Nepo wins 99%+ of the time
Win vs Ding / loss vs Caruana - Nepo wins 40%
Draw vs Caruana, Ding / win vs MVL / loss vs Wang Hao - Nepo wins 95%

So essentially for someone other than Nepo to have a realistic chance of winning, you either need Caruana to beat him this round, or for him to score less than 2/4 in the remaining games.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 am

30% isn't a realistic chance of winning?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:54 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 am
30% isn't a realistic chance of winning?
Fair challenge - yes if Nepo draws all 4 then there’s a decent chance of someone overtaking him.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:02 am

Matt Fletcher wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 am
Matthew Turner wrote:
So my question then is, if Nepomniachtchi scores 2/4 without drawing all his games does he still have a greater than 50% chance of winning?
My model suggests:

So essentially for someone other than Nepo to have a realistic chance of winning, you either need Caruana to beat him this round, or for him to score less than 2/4 in the remaining games.
I am not sure that this covers all the possibilities. In the extreme case of Nepomniachtchi losing to Caruana and MVL and beating Ding and Wang Hao, I guess he has 25% or less chance of victory.
Basically if Nepomniachtchi loses to Caruana or MVL (even if he does well in the other games) he isn't a firm favourite.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:14 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:02 am
Matt Fletcher wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 am
Matthew Turner wrote:
My model suggests:

I am not sure that this covers all the possibilities. In the extreme case of Nepomniachtchi losing to Caruana and MVL and beating Ding and Wang Hao, I guess he has 25% or less chance of victory.
Basically if Nepomniachtchi loses to Caruana or MVL (even if he does well in the other games) he isn't a firm favourite.
No it doesn’t cover all the possibilities as there are quite a few still! Just wanted to give an idea.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:15 pm

Can I change my vote? It looks like it is going to plan for Nepomniachtchi at the moment

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:51 pm

I now have Nepo at 2:1 against the field - 68% chance of winning.

Caruana is still second favourite- Giri’s chances have gone up to 10% with today’s win.

https://twitter.com/wmiltti/status/1385 ... 51813?s=21

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:05 pm

In the event, Nepo it was - his nerves held up very well (the "dead rubber" final game doesn't really count)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)