2021 World Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

2021 World Cup

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:47 am

A FIDE press release issued on March 6th stated that FIDE had approved proposals from the four Continental Federations related to their qualification structures for the next FIDE World Cup to be held in July 2021. "As the epidemical situation remains complicated all over the World, a significant number of qualifiers will be held in the hybrid format. This decision is considered inevitable and exceptional in order to enable the qualification process."

It appears that a lot of the top players will be ok to play in it as long as it isn't rated. At the foot of the FIDE Press release you can clearly see it states "(decision pending)".

Israeli GM, Evgeny Postny, messaged ECU President, Zurab Azmaiparashvili with the following:

"Let me bring you the results of the poll that I conducted on my page in Facebook. At the end of this message you will find the long list of players (36 at the moment) from sixteen European countries. All the mentioned players (including myself) are ready to take part, or at least to seriously consider a participation in the European Hybrid Qualification that you are going to organize at the dates 22 - 30 May 2021, upon one important condition: this European Hybrid Qualification event will not be FIDE rated. Please ensure that this point will be stated clearly in the regulations.
All the mentioned players are either rated 2600+ or top players in their countries respectively. I am sure that you will take into account the opinion of chess professionals. Let's act together for the sake of our beloved game of chess."

List of players:
Sergei Movsesian (ARM)
Gadir Guseinov (AZE)
Nijat Abasov (AZE)
Romain Edouard (FRA)
Baadur Jobava (GEO)
Mikheil Mchedlishvili (GEO)
Daniel Fridman (GER)
Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu (GER)
Georg Meier (GER)
Niclas Huschenbeth (GER)
Dimitrios Mastrovasilis (GRE)
Maxim Rodshtein (ISR)
Nitzan Steinberg (ISR)
Victor Mikhalevski (ISR)
Evgeny Postny (ISR)
Tomas Laurusas (LTU)
Kiril Georgiev (MKD)
Frode Olav Olsen Urkedal (NOR)
Mateusz Bartel (POL)
Kacper Piorun (POL)
Grzegorz Gajewski (POL)
Constantin Lupulescu (ROU)
Anton Demchenko (RUS)
Vladimir Fedoseev (RUS)
Grigoriy Oparin (RUS)
Maksim Chigaev (RUS)
Mikhail Antipov (RUS)
Alexandr Predke (RUS)
David Paravian (RUS)
Alexander Motylev (RUS)
Igor Lysyj (RUS)
Yannick Pelletier (SUI)
Mustafa Yilmaz (TUR)
Anton Korobov (UKR)
Alexander Moiseenko (UKR)
Yuriy Kuzubov (UKR)

It will be interesting to see whether ad hoc Facebook polls become the new decision making tool for FIDE.

Chris Rice

Re: 2021 World Cup

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:06 pm

Peter Doggers article on FIDE's approval of the Hybrid format for the World Cup qualifiers. Discussion on Dvorkovich's concern as to whether norms and ratings should be included. Not too shabby 30,000-euro prize fund supported by the FIDE Continental Development Fund.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:28 pm

What is the purpose of the World Cup these days?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:09 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:28 pm
What is the purpose of the World Cup these days?
The players like it and, to judge by viewing figures, a lot of fans like it. Sorry if you don't.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:14 pm

Why would I not like chess played well and broadcast live? I admit to being both English and not as young as I used to be but it doesn't mean I instinctively complain about things...I mean I'm not your average Englishman. More to the point, in the modern game it seems to be either money or entry routes into higher level tournaments are the two carrots dangled usually. What happens if you win The World Cup then? I'm curious because I genuinely don't know.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:24 pm

You qualify for the Candidates.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:36 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:24 pm
Aha, well that is a juicy carrot. I shall have to remind myself not to enter then. Although its true I don't really different from the contestants named in this thread...I mean that like them I'm just another sub-2800 player, it does however, become very tricky indeed when I play anyone over 2200, having only ever escaped defeat twice =1 (D.Ledger rapid) +1 (some Finnish FM 2310). Perhaps I'll be outclassed and give that one a miss then.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:09 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:24 pm
As does the runner up
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:37 pm

So they do have something to actually play for then. Should be interesting.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:23 pm

Draw

Ravi Haria v Zvjaginsev, winner to play Bacrot in the 2nd round

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:32 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:23 pm
Ravi Haria v Zvjaginsev, winner to play Bacrot in the 2nd round
Not sure what I've missed, but how did Ravi qualify? Is that it for ENG?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:17 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:32 pm
Is [Ravi Haria] it for ENG?
Yes. Mickey Adams was qualified by rating, but declined his place.
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:32 pm
Not sure what I've missed, but how did Ravi qualify?
There has been no announcement on the ECF website, but I have gleaned the following from Twitter and other sources.

England were one of 100 Federations entitled to nominate a player. David Howell, Gawain Jones and Luke McShane were to draw lots for the place. The draw appears to have been won by Howell, as he was briefly included on an earlier list of participants.

In the event, however, all three declined the opportunity.

Haria was the most successful English player in the European Hybrid Qualification Tournament, winning both games against GM Falko Bindrich. By virtue of that success he was offered the English place in the World Cup, which he has accepted.

I wish him good luck and success.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:32 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:17 pm
I wish him good luck and success.
As I am sure we all do. Thanks for the information, David.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:19 am

TWIC
The FIDE World Cup takes place in Krasnaya Polyana 12th July to 8th August. The venue which is close to Sochi and which hosted events in the 2014 Winter Olympics and is high in the mountains.

The field is very strong headed by World Champion Magnus Carlsen, but also including Fabiano Caruana, Levon Aronian, Anish Giri, Alexander Grischuk, Shakhriyar Mamedyarov, Maxime Vachier Lagrave, Alireza Firouzja, Leinier Dominguez, Sergey Karjakin, Pentala Harikrishna, Jan-Krzysztof Duda, Vidit Santosh Gujrathi, Dmitry Andreikin, Nikita Vitiugov etc.

The event has two innovations, it's 8 rounds rather than 7 with the first round being a sort of preliminary. Secondly there is a women's event alongside for the first time although they have had a World Championship under a very similar formula. Some women players have the right to play in the men's event so they have had to decide.

The top two players in the men's event qualify for the FIDE Candidates of 2022 - this excludes Magnus Carlsen who will either not need to play or be already qualified.

The women's event has three places in their Candidates event (other than Ju Wenjun, Goryachkina, Koneru and Lagno who are qualified by other methods). The women's event is just 7 rounds.

First day of play 12th July 2021 1pm UK time

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Ravi has just won Game 1 with White against GM Zvjaginsev:

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 021/1/22/1

Congratulations to him!

If he can draw with Black tomorrow he is through to play Bacrot in round 2.

The higher-rated players have byes and only start in round 2.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com