Levon Aronian statement

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Levon Aronian statement

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:53 am

My darlings,

Last year was too hard for all of us: epidemic, war, in my case, also personal adversity and absolute indifference of the state towards Armenian chess. I was facing the choice to leave my life's job or move to where I was appreciated.

After more than a year of waiting for the fulfillment of current government promises, I realized that I had to make a breakthrough decision and leave my native country. Obviously, every year of expectation of change is a wasted year from my sports career. And I appreciate my family, especially my mother's sacrifices. as a chess player in my parking lot not to use my opportunity to make the most of it.

I'm sincerely proud of having had the honor of making a significant contribution to the greatest achievement of Armenian chess: three Olympic gold, gold in the world and European championships, two world cups, a number of individual and team victories. I think it's clear that it's impossible to achieve in chess World heights without long-term huge work and targeted support of the state. It is important to note that the third president of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan's personal attention and important support for years in our chess successes.

After the revolution in 2018, the new government promised to continue the line, but the promise was limited to only one year of partial assistance, after which it stopped. Meanwhile, the chess arena was invaded by absolutely ignorant new sports state figures who rewritten our successes to themselves, began to self-proclaim even through blackmail. They managed to divide the chess solid family and sphere into chaos. I have tried many times to present the former minister of education, science, culture and sports Arayik Harutyunyan, other responsibilities of the sphere, as well as RA Prime Minister, with him these 3 At the only meeting in years, for which he strictly set 15 minutes.

All my attempts to suspend the devastating decisions in the chess sphere have been overthrown. I still failed to explain to the new government that chess is a great legacy in our country and that our successes in this sphere are perhaps one of the biggest achievements in our country. Personally, Armenian chess victories for me, independent Armenia the second pride is 1992-1994 Artsakh freedom after our victory.

I couldn't pass on the simple truth that I ask for state support not for me personally but for our successes to serve and bring glory to our homeland, which for decades may not have Armenia anymore.

The answer was: ′′ Our experts find that Levon Aronyan has no more potential ":

Immediately after this ′′ verdict ′′ at Stavanger's prestigious tournament, I lost both the world champion and the number two players in the world.
I've received many attractive offers from different countries for years. Including great American philanthropist and chess lover Rex Sinkefeld who repeated his offer to move to the United States every year. I've been denying everything that was done It was priceless for chess development by my state and that no material value could compare to the respect that the chess player enjoyed in Armenia.

I would like to express my gratitude to the respected Rex Sinkefeld for still believing in me today. Thanks also to Fabiano Caruana, who is America's strongest player, supports me and shares my decision to be teammates. I am very grateful to my family, relatives, friends and all that people who know my principles and understand me.

My mother often repeats the Armenian saying. ′′ God gives every man a test in his own way ": There have been many trials in my life, and every new one I accept with humility and willingness to be better than yesterday. I hope I overcome this one with dignity.

I am sure that time will pass and chess will return to its status in Armenia. Instead of closing chess schools and departed devotees, we will see again respect for the sport where we, as a nation and country, had and I think we will still have our stable place

Until then, I want to assure you once again that I am connected with all the threads of my homeland and I will continue to do my best and impossible for my country from a distance.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/LevAronian 26/2/21

David Sedgwick

Re: Levon Aronian statement

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:29 am

Saint Louis Chess Club Press Release:

https://saintlouischessclub.org/blog/su ... resent-usa

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 am

It simply makes a mockery of international team chess. The rules allowing players to change federation are way too lax.
Sinquefield is allowed to act similarly to a big football club. Which Galáctico will be next?

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:03 am

Agree with Nick

If you want to allow movement between countries then it should be like the old cricket rule; if you have played internationally for another country (Olympiad etc.) then you have to wait 4 years before you can represent you new country

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:17 pm

If Lev Aronian wants to move to earn more money well good luck to him.

Put that into context against footballers see https://wageindicator.co.uk/pay/vip-cel ... ll-players.

Messi £465,000 a day? Even Premier Division reserves like Phil Jagielka are on £10,000 a day.

Am I particularly bothered about which international team Lev plays for? No.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:21 pm

Would be interesting to hear what other US players like Shankland & Xiong think

Good luck to Lev though, he's been through so much
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:26 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 am
It simply makes a mockery of international team chess.
What is the purpose of international team chess anyway? I'm not suggesting there isn't one, just posing the question.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:26 pm

I not bothered either way who he plays for; but most sports are quite strict on international representation, so why not in chess Olympiad’s as well; if this was football he could never play for the USA or anybody else but Armenia

I would say the majority of his earnings is as an individual which is exactly the same as Messi et al, so this movement is because he has lost national funding and wants a guaranteed income

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:51 pm

Alan Walton wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:26 pm
so this movement is because he has lost national funding and wants a guaranteed incomeuld never play for the USA or anybody else but Armenia
Sadly he has lost more than that and I can't blame him for wanting a fresh start, good luck to him.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:55 pm

A sentiment many of us will share, very well expressed

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:20 pm

Agree, with the other factors; just worried that USA are trying to buy international success and it may devalue the Olympiad which is one of FIDE flagship events

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:41 pm

I've no great objection to him doing it but I could do without the long apologia. I don't think Rex Sinquefield buying up all the.top players he can is a particularly edifying spectacle.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:53 pm

I'm a big fan of Levon as a person and a chess player. I wish him all the best individually.

For many players representing your country is the pinnacle of their careers. For many fans, Olympiads are THE best events in the whole of chess. For many countries such as Armenia, Azerbaijan & Ukraine, their achievements in team chess is a source of immense national pride.

Having no restrictions on a rich individual buying the best players in the world denies the chance of deserving, hard working US players like Xiong/Shankland to play.
Denies other players their rightful shot at glory or career high achievement. It denies whole nations a chance to win where they otherwise could.

What are the pros?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:38 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:53 pm
What are the pros?
Just for the sake of the argument, if you allow rich people to put money into chess for any purpose they like, this will maximise the amount they put in, which will eventually benefit the game as a whole.

I realise this is a trickle down theory, and they don't always work as advertised, but it's all I've got.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:59 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:53 pm
What are the pros?
That an Armenian player who wouldn't have got in their national team now will?

If it was down to me I'd say that to represent a country at anything you'd have to have that country's nationality. Living there wouldn't be enough.