2021 Hybrid Cities Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

2021 Hybrid Cities Cup

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:04 am

The first ever Hybrid event kicks off this weekend. We've got four teams from Barcelona, Oslo, Tepe Sigeman Chess Malmo and the Slovak Chess Federation. Will it work or perhaps more importantly will any else see enough to want to repeat it? Here is the event website

Chris Rice

Re: 2021 Hybrid Cities Cup

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:39 pm

Clearly Hybrid Chess is not for everybody as Viktor Moskalenko comments on FB on the tournament:

"Is 'Hybrid Chess' a joke or nonsense?

I'll just describe my day. On Saturday, February 20, 2021, for the first time in history, we have played two rounds in the so-called FIDE - hybrid chess. But I can't say that it was a pleasant experience, as it mostly went under suspicious conditions:

* In the first round, I mysteriously lost 30 minutes of my time (with a control of 1:30 per game), so I didn't manage to win a fairly easy endgame.

* Then I won the second round, in terms of time and position .. but surprisingly, after 40 minutes (!) of some ridiculous discussions, I was offered to continue the game that I had already won! In addition, I suspect that during the discussions my opponent (who was playing clearly poorly) received an important help on the position.

After all, the game ended in another draw.

* During this playing day, our arbiter claims were ignored by his colleagues, organizers and the main chief arbiter. But on the other side, they successfully achieved permanent advantages for their teams and players...

Summary: I hope this never counts as real chess game!"

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:13 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:39 pm
Clearly Hybrid Chess is not for everybody as Viktor Moskalenko comments on FB on the tournament:
Perhaps Hybrid Chess needs to find an identity.

Is it a modernised form of telephone chess or is it on-line chess with witnesses?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Is there a link? I have never got to grips with FB.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Is there a link? I have never got to grips with FB.
I can't see how to link the page, probably a Friend request is the only way to access it. Barcelona won it in the end results.

Another player Fernando Peralta was playing in it and I do have a photo from him of the event in action Image