Wijk aan Zee 2021

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Re: Wijk aan Zee 2021

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:58 pm

What a farce. From Premier League games to a Sunday morning pub match on a shared pitch.

However, I do wonder whether Giri's clothing was suitable for such a game. Watching the replay of the finish he lost a lot of time continually adjusting the sleeve of his shirt. He really should have donned a short sleeved T-Shirt and saved himself valuable seconds. Poor technique.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:29 am

Pete Doggers
Van Foreest: "I felt bad for Anish, and I felt a bit bad about this game. There was a lot of throwing pieces around. You don't want to win this way but it happened like this, and I'm just really happy now."
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:19 am

The all-Dutch playoff was scheduled to start at 18:10, two tables away from Firouzja-Wojtaszek, who were still playing. When these players reached the time control, the arbiters asked them to move to one of the tables farther away so that they would be less bothered by the moves of Giri and Van Foreest.

Firouzja was visibly disturbed (understandably so) and refused to leave the table. While the playoff was underway, he spoiled his promising position, and afterward, he was very angry at the arbiters and shouted at the main organizer.
You shouldn't be shouting at organisers but other than that who can blame him.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:13 am

The all-Dutch playoff was scheduled to start at 18:10, two tables away from Firouzja-Wojtaszek, who were still playing. When these players reached the time control, the arbiters asked them to move to one of the tables farther away so that they would be less bothered by the moves of Giri and Van Foreest.

Firouzja was visibly disturbed (understandably so) and refused to leave the table. While the playoff was underway, he spoiled his promising position, and afterward, he was very angry at the arbiters and shouted at the main organizer.
JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:19 am
It's a difficult problem. Whatever you do is likely to upset somebody. Keeping Giri and Van Foreest hanging around, needlessly from their point of view, wouldn't be very satisfactory.

One would hope that the players were warned beforehand that games might have to be moved. However, if my own experience of similar situations at the Gibraltar International Chess Festival is any indication, some players never absorb such warnings.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:44 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Firouzja ... was very angry at the arbiters and shouted at the main organizer.
I think that isn't the first time he's behaved inappropriately. Is he turning into another Nakamura?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:49 pm

While the playoff was underway, he spoiled his promising position
That is true. He played surprisingly aimlessly, which I put down at the time to tiredness at the end of a long and tough tournament.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:22 pm

"It's a difficult problem. Whatever you do is likely to upset somebody. Keeping Giri and Van Foreest hanging around, needlessly from their point of view, wouldn't be very satisfactory."

Although they might like a break before playing? It's not ideal to disturb the players unnecessarily, especially if Alireza were unaware that he was out of the tie-break.

Rather lower standard than this event, but I was playing the last round of 3rd Week Special at Hastings in the Falaise Hall in the late 70s and featured in the last game to finish. Having reached king and six pawns each, I was pressing for a win. I went for a toilet break and was intercepted by the organizer who informed me the position was drawn. I mildly told him not to interfere but he pursued his theme and told me to offer a draw as "we all want to go home". I just walked away and duly won an hour later. By then I would have played on until K v K...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:29 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:13 am
It's a difficult problem. Whatever you do is likely to upset somebody. Keeping Giri and Van Foreest hanging around, needlessly from their point of view, wouldn't be very satisfactory.
Under normal circumstances isn't there an end of tournament dinner involving pea soup?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:13 am
It's a difficult problem. Whatever you do is likely to upset somebody.
If the comment in the ChessBase report is accurate, it doesn't reflect well on the organisers.
ChessBase wrote: ... the arbiters asked [Firouzja] and Wojtaszek to move to another board in order for the Dutchmen to occupy centre stage.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:13 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:44 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Firouzja ... was very angry at the arbiters and shouted at the main organizer.
I think that isn't the first time he's behaved inappropriately. Is he turning into another Nakamura?
Tbh if the reports are at all accurate in this instance, a lot of people wouldn't blame him.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:46 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 pm
If the comment in the ChessBase report is accurate
the Chessbase report wrote:By that time, the spectators and players that had finished their games
There were spectators?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:57 pm

No spectators according to Giri's tweet in response to Magnus; maybe the reference is to the online following
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:11 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:46 pm
There were spectators?
There are a few people other than players in this video of the closing ceremony. Some are probably seconds of the players or journalists; maybe all of them are. It would be reasonable to describe them as spectators.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:31 pm

Maybe, but we wouldn't at a football match.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:00 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:44 pm
I think that isn't the first time he's behaved inappropriately.
Really? I hadn't heard that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.