Interview with FIDE President

The very latest International round up of English news.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Interview with FIDE President

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 am

I agree with Richard.

I would have thought that a major attraction for a number of players in team events is that they (potentially) get FIDE-rated games without taking a week off work. But if deals are made outside the match, (e.g. captains agreeing all boards drawn) that does affect the rating system.

"One thing that is, as an aside, interesting in the context of normal league chess, when we ever get back to it, is how it might be changed by the effect of monthly grading. Which will seem to add an “importance” and clearly defined rating impact to individual games in the way that the former system never did (in a transparent and near immediate way)."

That is a good point. There are many leagues which have some sort of board order rule based on grading. I would imagine they would say that the August rating counts for all matches up to Christmas or even the entire season. Otherwise you could imagine the monthly list being published 5 minutes before you start the match and then someone being retrospectively defaulted!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 am

We already have this with the January list being published halfway through the league season; it isn't complicated for players who had a grade in August, just for those we have to estimate a grade in August, and their actual January grade is quite different
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:33 pm
https://www.chesstech.org/2020/fides-next-steps/

This contains some quite extraordinary comments. There is mention of subtitles for the full interview, but I cannot see them.

Edit : found them now.

Alexei Shirov (on Facebook) "Sorry to say but last half a year I am fighting with myself not to keep saying too openly that current FIDE is bunch of idiots because they have no clue how chess is in the world. Now I understand that I am losing that battle with myself... :( "

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm

For the majority of players in the UK, this is the ONLY opportunity to play Fide rated games at a serious time limit. Taking that opportunity away is a very bad idea, and for many will diminish the appeal of team competition.

If fixed matches are the problem, then just dont rate them instead of imposing a stupid rule on everyone else to accommodate the fixed matches. :roll:

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 am
That is a good point. There are many leagues which have some sort of board order rule based on grading. I would imagine they would say that the August rating counts for all matches up to Christmas or even the entire season. Otherwise you could imagine the monthly list being published 5 minutes before you start the match and then someone being retrospectively defaulted!
I remember our discussing this at the last DCCA AGM, and the rule we agreed on was that team eligibility would be based on the rating list at the time of the competition entry deadline, but team board order would be based on the most recently published rating list.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:56 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
I remember our discussing this at the last DCCA AGM, and the rule we agreed on was that team eligibility would be based on the rating list at the time of the competition entry deadline, but team board order would be based on the most recently published rating list.
The rating team have been aware of issues in this area. After the 1st October came out auatomatically overnight, I'm hopeful that we can continue with this schedule from now on. Maybe organisations might want to leave it a while to bed in before enshrining this reliability into the rules.

However there is a secondary issue in that we expect material reporting delay from some quarters, Such delays can lead to material revisions to past ratings. Anyone framing rules need to make it clear whether they are using the original rating (that published on the first of the month) rather than a subsequent revised rating applicable to that date. Both rating are published, as they have in the past but with less relevance on the less frequent schedule.

Brian Valentine
Manager of ECF rating

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
I agree with Richard.

I would have thought that a major attraction for a number of players in team events is that they (potentially) get FIDE-rated games without taking a week off work. But if deals are made outside the match, (e.g. captains agreeing all boards drawn) that does affect the rating system.

"One thing that is, as an aside, interesting in the context of normal league chess, when we ever get back to it, is how it might be changed by the effect of monthly grading. Which will seem to add an “importance” and clearly defined rating impact to individual games in the way that the former system never did (in a transparent and near immediate way)."

I should clarify that whilst a valid point, this isn’t what I was getting at. My point was that monthly gradings will create a sort of (grading) importance to every game (for those very interested in it) that never really felt was present under the previous system. Although objectively the difference between a win and a loss in an individual game would potential mean the difference of 2-3 grading points when a new list came to be published (based on 30-50 games a year), and in theory this is similar to the K=20 effect under Elo, it obviously never really felt like that as there would always be a sense of things evening themselves out over the year.

My point being that some people’s approach to league chess might change slightly as a result of this. (And that’s without people using it to, er, “massage” their grades downwards to allow them to enter certain grading restricted events)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:12 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm
For the majority of players in the UK, this is the ONLY opportunity to play Fide rated games at a serious time limit. Taking that opportunity away is a very bad idea, and for many will diminish the appeal of team competition.

If fixed matches are the problem, then just dont rate them instead of imposing a stupid rule on everyone else to accommodate the fixed matches. :roll:
I agree with Nick B here. One of the major attractions of 4NCL chess to those who don't have a FIDE rating is the opportunity to play rated games and get a rating, and then to continue to get a chance to play rated games. And I wonder how many of those who have long had a rating (i.e. those 2200+) play most of their rated chess in the 4NCL?
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:19 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 pm
I have now got to the end. I recommend anyone with a serious interest to do the same, rather than relying on Loffler's summary which, while not bad, doesn't give the full flavour.
Two hours to watch all of it? Can you give pointers as to which bits are worth watching? (Please don't say all of it.)