Heidelberg 2nd autumn 2020 tournament

The very latest International round up of English news.
Wadih Khoury

Re: Heidelberg 2nd autumn 2020 tournament

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:18 pm

Health and safety rules published (rough translation from German):
  • It is forbidden to shake hands
  • You need a protection over the mouth and the nose
  • You will not be able to participate if you have symptoms
  • It is mandatory to disinfect your hand at the entrance and before the games
  • Participants from an at risk foreign region will have to present a negative coronavirus test that took place less than 48 hours ago
  • We will register information to enable contact tracing
  • Apart from the direct participants, people will have to observe a 1.5m security distance
  • Maximum two persons in the toilet at the same time
  • Spectators and guests are not authorised to attend
Nothing really contentious, and only real compromise to "normal" chess is the shield/face mask.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:12 pm

3 ENG players in section A, all 3 juniors.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Some quick observations on the tournament:

• 150+ players over 2 sections. I estimate about 20-25% of no shows and late cancellations (200 players were expected) due to imminent tightening of rules in Germany and other countries (e.g. french players could not take the chance of getting stuck in Germany)
  • I did note however few senior or.senior+ players, unlike the summer tournaments. Some juniors, with most players in the 20-50 age range.
  • In the end, masks were not required for players while sat at the board. The chess experience was therefore 100% normal. I did note that probably half the players chose to keep their mask on.
  • The system for the toilets was quite creative: there was a magnetic board in front of the toilet and each player had a magnetic token. If there were 2 tokens, you had to wait. If not, just attach your token to the board, and when finished recover it, notifying the next in queue there is a free slot.
  • Lots of hand sanitizer everywhere
  • Details were collected, and organisers did check for proof of Negative Covid test for those coming from a risk region or country.
  • No hand shakes. I did see some players analysing afterwards.
  • Good spacing between boards. See picture.

Overall, worth doing. Main cost was the test, and if the tournament was held one week earlier it would hav cost barely more than a UK
4 day congresss.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:17 pm

Very pleased to hear that went well. I suspect that travelling abroad may be the norm for English players wishing to play proper chess for the next couple of years.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:01 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:09 pm
Some quick observations on the tournament:

• 150+ players over 2 sections. I estimate about 20-25% of no shows and late cancellations (200 players were expected) due to imminent tightening of rules in Germany and other countries (e.g. french players could not take the chance of getting stuck in Germany)
  • I did note however few senior or.senior+ players, unlike the summer tournaments. Some juniors, with most players in the 20-50 age range.
  • In the end, masks were not required for players while sat at the board. The chess experience was therefore 100% normal. I did note that probably half the players chose to keep their mask on.
  • The system for the toilets was quite creative: there was a magnetic board in front of the toilet and each player had a magnetic token. If there were 2 tokens, you had to wait. If not, just attach your token to the board, and when finished recover it, notifying the next in queue there is a free slot.
  • Lots of hand sanitizer everywhere
  • Details were collected, and organisers did check for proof of Negative Covid test for those coming from a risk region or country.
  • No hand shakes. I did see some players analysing afterwards.
  • Good spacing between boards. See picture.

Overall, worth doing. Main cost was the test, and if the tournament was held one week earlier it would hav cost barely more than a UK
4 day congresss.
Sounds good. How did you get tested?

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:04 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:01 am
How did you get tested?
PCR test in the UK, less than 48 hours before landing in Germany.
Some took their test in Germany (very fast, I think took them 6 hours, definitely less than 24).

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:31 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:04 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
How did you get tested?
Some took their test in Germany (very fast, I think took them 6 hours, definitely less than 24).
A brave new world. Any other tournaments on your horizons?

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:39 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:31 am
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:04 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
How did you get tested?
A brave new world. Any other tournaments on your horizons?
None, as the world and the UK are heading to lockdown.
In a month time, if the disease is back under enough control, I may look at events, depending on air bridges, ease and cost of tests.