FIDE Online Olympiad 22 July to 30 August 2020

The very latest International round up of English news.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: FIDE Online Olympiad 22 July to 30 August 2020

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:36 pm

What are the actual rules on disconnections, since they are evidently different from the everyday rule "bad luck, you lose" (since losing games like that is only for the hoi polloi, and not possibly applicable to elite GMs)?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Lev Aronian on Twitter wrote:I guess like always some of us are less disconnected that the others #1984

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:36 pm
What are the actual rules on disconnections, since they are evidently different from the everyday rule "bad luck, you lose" (since losing games like that is only for the hoi polloi, and not possibly applicable to elite GMs)?
I am inferring that the distinction is whether the loss of connection was due to the hosting server (chess.com) or due to internal internet connection. But if that is right, I gather also that it does not seem to support the differing fortunes of Amernia and India in their appeals.

Honestly. Only in chess. We so often find ways to make generally successful events end in acrimony ....

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:21 pm

https://twitter.com/LevAronian/status/1 ... sbSSj_WPNY

Abhijeet Gupta
@iam_abhijeet
·
1h
Replying to
@LevAronian
There is a God and he is definitely not Armenian!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:26 pm

"Honestly. Only in chess. We so often find ways to make generally successful events end in acrimony ...."

You've saved me having to think how to phrase my comments.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:36 pm
In the other thread I attempted to justify such a differential approach:
David Sedgwick (in another thread) wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:01 am
My understanding [is that] in the Magnus Carlsen Tour events they now have a clock freeze.

I doubt whether that is feasible throughout an Online Olympiad. In a number of countries, internet connections are poor and power cuts are endemic.

However, I wonder whether there should be special provisions for the Knockout phase. I don't think that anyone wants to see matches decided in this way. Speaking for myself, I also don't like seeing players continuing until the end in hopeless positions, in the faint hope that their opponent might disconnect.
The above was written before the Final, of course.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:11 pm
Hi Mick,

I think you may have misinterpreted "The Armenian team will not be charged for presenting this appeal."

They lost the appeal for which a fee is normally payable. In this case it was felt that the appeal was justified and so that fee would be returned/not levied.

I do not think you can read into that whether or not further action will be taken for the withdrawal which would certainly not have been known about at the time of the appeal decision.
In the light of what has happened in the Final, I cannot imagine that any action against Armenia will now be contemplated.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:58 pm

I think one of the issues was that there was no easy answer given that two players had disconnected at the same time through no fault of their own. I suspect most people would agree that the Armenian ruling was unfair on them, even if technically correct. These things happen and we should be happy that the event was able to take place with so many countries and at the end of the day joint winners is not so bad for a change.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:27 pm

Does anyone know how often global internet outages happen? They sound serious.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:28 pm

John Swain wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:28 pm
FIDE has posted in haste:

https://www.fide.com/news/721

I say in haste due to the lack of proof-reading: "Inida and Russia win gold medals" *

It sounds as though the two remaining members of the Appeals Committee (President Dvorkovich recusing himself) were split about what to do and so Dvorkovich made a presidential ruling to declare both India and Russia joint Champions.

FIDE Director General GM Emil Sutovsky previously tweeted:

"Team India submitted an appeal. It will be reviewed shortly. FIDE President A. Dvorkovich sits out the appeal, as he represents Russia. IO M.Khodarkovsky (USA) and IA Sava Stoisavljevic (Serbia) to issue a verdict. FIDE knows about possible impact of the global Internet outage."

* typo corrected on the FIDE site after a few minutes
It's easy to be wise after the event, but why did FIDE not bring in a reserve for the Appeals Committee? Given the desirability of having an odd number on the committee, thereby facilitating a majority decision, it would have been sensible to have replaced Dvorkovich for the Final (or any previous dispute involving Russia).

Having a politician like Dvorkovich on the Appeals Committee rather than an experienced IO or IA looks rather Putinesque.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Yes they could have replaced him with Alex H as a preliminary to Alex becoming FIDE President
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:38 pm

John,
I was going to make a similar point myself. If you had wanted a FIDE Official then Short could have easily stood in for Dvorkovich.
However, I have a lot of faith in Dvorkovich and I just wonder how bad a result this was for FIDE/Chess. This has been a very successful event, but would it have been made the BBC without this controversy - perhaps in the end it all worked out pretty well.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:28 pm

I’m just amused by the idea of an appeals panel being reduced from 3 to 2 as a result of one member having to recuse themselves for potential perception of bias - only for the resulting “panel” to be deadlocked with the only way of resolution being... to refer to the previously recused member! (who then inevitably couldn’t really render a truly perceived impartial judgement and inevitably had to find a decision which didn’t favour Russia)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:28 pm
I’m just amused by the idea of an appeals panel being reduced from 3 to 2 as a result of one member having to recuse themselves for potential perception of bias - only for the resulting “panel” to be deadlocked with the only way of resolution being... to refer to the previously recused member! (who then inevitably couldn’t really render a truly perceived impartial judgement and inevitably had to find a decision which didn’t favour Russia)
Had it been the Russians who disconnected it would have been interesting to see if he would have felt able to make the same decision.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:53 pm

To answer a question I asked earlier, evidently global internet outages are a thing, they have got worse during the pandemic ( why? ) and there was a big one today.

https://www.thousandeyes.com/outages
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.