Sunway Sitges Online Tournaments

The very latest International round up of English news.
Ian Thompson

Sunway Sitges Online Tournaments

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:39 pm

Anyone know what's happening with the Sunway Sitges Online tournaments?

It was supposed to start on Friday.

On Friday we had a tweet from one of the competitors.

Today we have this tweet from the organisers, which suggests the first two rounds were annulled.

chess-results is showing round 1 results, played today. Both sections have an excessive number of forfeits - 24 out of 109 games in the A tournament and 19 out of 99 games in the B tournament.

So it doesn't appear to be going very well so far.

David Sedgwick

Re: Sunway Sitges Online Tournaments

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:19 pm

There is an old saying that, if you are joining the market for a new product, you want to be second rather than first. That way you can learn from your forerunner's problems and mistakes.

I hope that the forthcoming European Online Championships, also on Chess.com, will go rather more smoothly.

I see that Shreyas Royal was one of those who did not play in the new Round 1. I can't say that I blame him. If I had drawn with a GM and then had the result annulled, I wouldn't feel like continuing either.

Edit: I felt that the comments by Leonard below were sufficient by way of correction to my post, so I have not altered the above.)
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leonard Barden

Re: Sunway Sitges Online Tournaments

Post by Leonard Barden » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:58 pm

After drawing easily with 2599-rated GM Axel Bachmann but having the game annulled, 11-year-old Shreyas was still ready to play the new round one next day against his 1200-rated opponent, but, after he waited for another two hours before being told that there would be a further day's postponement, his parents decided to withdraw him.

He does not need Sunway Sitges anyway.

According to his father, Shreyas is playing online blitz as well as rapid , today playing in a three team U12 event organised by Israel. Every Saturday he is playing online blitz organised by Chessbase India . Also he is playing for one of the German clubs . Titled Tuesday on chess.com is now happening every week so he will play that also. Last Wednesday he played in the Abu Dhabi international blitz (over 1200 titled players competed) and totalled 4/10.

I think that this is a model for what our best junior talents should be doing now, and the ECF should be actively encouraging them to a similar intensive programme.