FIDE ID

The very latest International round up of English news.
JustinHorton

FIDE ID

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Being in the middle of copying up six years' worth of old chess games, I had cause to look myself up on Chess Results using my FIDE ID, which is 412228, and was surprised to find that one entry had nothing to do with me at all, but was attached to a nine or ten year old Brazilian girl (who I can't find on the FIDE database). Should I be concerned by this?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ian Thompson

Re: FIDE ID

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:58 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:11 pm
Should I be concerned by this?
It looks like someone has messed up entry of the details of players in this tournament, based on half a dozen or so I looked at. They all have "Ident-Number" and "Fide-ID" set to the same value. For most this was an invalid FIDE ID, but for a couple it was a valid ID belonging to someone else.

I guess this tournament wasn't FIDE rated, so it didn't matter. Whether it would matter if any of these players did play in a FIDE rated tournament run using Chess Results I don't know. That probably depends on how the player details get populated and what checks the organiser makes that they are correct.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:24 pm

Every so often we get complaints from players along the lines of "that wasn't me". They get fixed. If nobody complains, they stay in the system - I'm not sure what can be done about that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:46 am

For several years when I looked up my FIDE rating on the FIDE site I would type in my FIDE ID and get back two names: one was my own and the other was a player from Vietnam who had a FIDE ID with several more digits than mine, but had my FIDE ID embedded within it. I took this as a sign that there is not much checking of the data format when the FIDE software processes results.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:22 am

Mike Gunn wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:46 am
For several years when I looked up my FIDE rating on the FIDE site I would type in my FIDE ID and get back two names: one was my own and the other was a player from Vietnam who had a FIDE ID with several more digits than mine, but had my FIDE ID embedded within it. I took this as a sign that there is not much checking of the data format when the FIDE software processes results.
Why is this a problem? I occasionally find it helpful that I can locate a player based only on a partial ID.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:51 am

It is only a problem in the sense that the database could contain dodgy data. This is hardly the end of the world ...