Carlsen quits Norway - reports

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Robertson

Carlsen quits Norway - reports

Post by David Robertson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Blimey! Source is usually sound

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Carlsen quits Norway - reports

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm

To actually quote what was said, on Twitter by Tarjei J. Svensen on 8 November:
BREAKING: Norwegian media is reporting that Carlsen has officially withdrawn/signed out of the Norwegian Chess Federation.
Might it be continuing fallout from this earlier in the year (July)?

Stavanger, Norway Withdraws 2020 World Champs Bid After Carlsen Pressure
In March, Stavanger was chosen by the Norwegian Chess Federation as its official bid for the match, in a fierce battle against Oslo, Baerum and Kragero. While Carlsen's team made it clear that it has nothing against Stavanger, it expressed disappointment with how the federation decided the host city and said it told the federation that it preferred Oslo or Baerum
In that article, Henrik (Carlsen's father) said:
Strangely enough, the board of the Norwegian Chess Federation would make the decision on the official host in Norway and it's baffling that Magnus would not be formally heard before making the decision
There is also a quote from the president of the Norwegian Chess Federation, Morten L. Madsen.

Of course, it might be completely unconnected to this, and might be something different causing this.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:52 pm

More HERE. Alas, my Norwegian isn't up to it

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Using Google Translate:
The press release states that Carlsen justified his statement that a large majority at this year's NSF congress had a different view than in the so-called "Kindred case". It was based on the fact that the Chess Federation considered entering into a sponsorship agreement with betting company Kindred worth NOK 50 million. Carlsen was a strong supporter of this agreement, but was voted down in the said Congress.
That was the dissatisfaction with the World Cup process earlier this year. But I thought it had settled down a bit. Then there were the bruises around the sponsorship deal with Kindred
See also:

CARLSEN ON NSF DROPS KINDRED AGREEMENT: - A BETRAYAL OF THIS AND THE NEXT GENERATION OF YOUNG PEOPLE
Magnus Carlsen for the first time expressed his opinion on a potential agreement between the Norwegian Chess Federation (NSF) and the betting company Kindred.
Kindred Group
Over the last 20 years, Kindred Group has brought together 11 of Europe’s most successful online gambling brands – forming one of the largest online gambling companies in the world.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:12 pm

From what I can see, he has dropped his Norwegian Chess Federation membership in protest of the Kindred decision. This is really just symbolic, so long as he appears as NOR on the FIDE rating list there's no knock-on consequences in terms of what he plays in.

This happens all the time all over the world, I expect - individual members upset by the democratic decision of their national federation, and they decide to end their affiliation with it. I daresay it happens with individual players in clubs all over England; and even clubs in leagues may withdraw because they don't like the rules/the people who run it/the amount of sugar in the tea in the AGM interval. Normally this does not involve the World Champion, admittedly...

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:12 pm
I daresay it happens with individual players in clubs all over England; and even clubs in leagues may withdraw because they don't like the rules/the people who run it/the amount of sugar in the tea in the AGM interval. Normally this does not involve the World Champion, admittedly...
Nor £4.62m.......