Carlsen crushed 13.5-2.5 in Oslo world title match

The very latest International round up of English news.
Leonard Barden

Carlsen crushed 13.5-2.5 in Oslo world title match

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Carlsen crushed 13.5-2.5 in Oslo world title match

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Afraid that I still don't consider this "proper" chess, but a remarkable result nonetheless.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:27 pm

I have been waiting for someone to post about this, which is the culmination of the first worldwide 960 competition to feature serious prizes. I wondered whether this would happen before it was all over.

It is clear that FIDE's plan of keeping the event secret has worked well. Why this is what they wanted remains a mystery.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:32 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:27 pm
I have been waiting for someone to post about this, which is the culmination of the first worldwide 960 competition to feature serious prizes. I wondered whether this would happen before it was all over.

It is clear that FIDE's plan of keeping the event secret has worked well. Why this is what they wanted remains a mystery.
It had a reasonable following on social media platforms.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:48 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:27 pm

I think it's more a reflection of a degree of parochialism on this forum. There has been very detailed coverage of Oslo on chess.com and regular updates on chessbase.

As for Fide, Dvorkovich came at least yesterday and made an opening move for Carlsen.

The mystery for me is Carlsen's total collapse in the final three games, which seemed much worse than just ''tilted'.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:48 pm
There has been very detailed coverage of Oslo on chess.com and regular updates on chessbase.
Precisely. That is not the way to bring 960 to the attention of the wider public, or to make it more appealing to sponsors.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:25 pm

"Precisely. That is not the way to bring 960 to the attention of the wider public, or to make it more appealing to sponsors."

I agree.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Wesley expressed his pleasure on FB:

"Due to a heavy tournament schedule I don't have much time online but I have 15 minutes today and want to use it to give thanks and Glorify God. Thank you Lord Jesus for wins, near wins, losses, bad days, good ones and so-so ones this year. I am just another human being struggling to survive one step at a a time, experiencing many stumbles but you know my heart Lord it is always AMDG to you.
Thank you to Norway and its people who have such gracious spirit to congratulate me even when my win must have pained them a bit. Thank you to the organizers Arne Horvei and Joran Jansson whose vision made this event possible.
Thank you to the Norwegian Chess Federation.
Thank you to the US Chess Federation.
Thank you to the people of Minnesota and Missouri my two hometowns.
Thank you to the Philippines because I was both there.
Thank you to Danny Rensch for always keeping an eye on the future and going out on a limb to organize and promote this.
Thank you to FIDE which under the impressive and inspiring leadership of Arkady Dvorkovich is reaching new heights.
Thank you to my home church and people who rejoice for me even though I am always on the road and they don't see me much.
Thank you to all the chess playing public who wrote in and encouraged me. Chess fans and people across the world I have never met have taken time from their busy lives to bless me. I also pray blessings on all of you."

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:08 pm

1. We should note that Mr Barden reported it clearly in his weekly column
2. I am astonished by the margin of So's victory - any explanations? Surely Carlsen does not rely on book openings, so why should he lose by such a large gap?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:34 pm

He gave up pretty much once So had a big lead?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:08 pm
1. We should note that Mr Barden reported it clearly in his weekly column
2. I am astonished by the margin of So's victory - any explanations? Surely Carlsen does not rely on book openings, so why should he lose by such a large gap?
Not the usual scoring system. It was three points per game for the slow play (first four games). They drew the first game, then So won the next three to establish a 12-point lead, another draw and a final win by So in the sixth game (making the lead 14 points). You can't really call it a proper world championship when they only played 6 games (though So did well to win three games in a row).