World Teams 2019

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger Lancaster

Re: World Teams 2019

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Poker is as much a game of skill as chess. So when I play on pokerstars I do not consider it gambling.

With respect, I think most sources define betting, or gambling, as staking money on something that has an uncertain outcome irrespective of whether skill in involved in determining that outcome.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Poker is high-skill, high-luck, unlike chess, which is high-skill, low-luck.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:04 pm

I think those that pay tournament fees to play in chess & are below IM standards are losing players in money terms.
So may be low-luck, but stupid, unless they have another reason for playing the game - competition, enjoyment.
That is also a reason to play poker. It certainly keeps my brain active & count probability situations which may be a lot more profitable than speculating over chess pairings or how many grading points they are losing.
If it were not for the money those within chess would not be putting time & effort in to stop cheating.

I say well done for the World Teams 2019 & if we had a bit more luck with form, health, & the games themselves it may have been better. But lets celebrate the outcome anyway.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:32 pm
Are there now Poker tournaments run on a limited liability basis? You pay an entry fee as in a chess tournament, are allocated a finite number of chips and the winner is the person with all or most of the chips when time runs out.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 pm
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:32 pm
Are there now Poker tournaments run on a limited liability basis? You pay an entry fee as in a chess tournament, are allocated a finite number of chips and the winner is the person with all or most of the chips when time runs out.
Yes. Indeed, that sort of format is the distinguishing feature of tournament poker.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Ok low stakes 11 dollars Sunday Storm. 7pm WET The big prizes 21/14/10k (200k overall) about 23,600 players & prizes from 4600.
the Sunday million is higher.
Not to say that I'm playing - the hours to win will about the same hours as you play in a w/e congress & win.
I've got some work meeting early tomorrow.

it is worth playing through some chess games that are published without a computer or trying to find something entertaining on the computer.

But let this not from the chess at the world teams, & hopefully not taking up too much time on sponsorship at the Finance Council meeting.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:49 pm

"Besides, as I observed last time this came up, when Isai Scheinberg wants to make a public statement explaining why he's on the Isle of Man and what should happen to the outstanding indictments against him, I'll take an interest in his defence. Until then he's just another fugitive from the law, no?"

Possibly - it depends on the country a bit, doesn't it? After all, Tony Blair was found guilty of war crimes by a Serbian court. Do we want him locked up? Oh, wait a minute...

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:50 pm
With respect, I think most sources define betting, or gambling, as staking money on something that has an uncertain outcome
Like investing your pension fund, then?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:17 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:43 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:50 pm
With respect, I think most sources define betting, or gambling, as staking money on something that has an uncertain outcome
Like investing your pension fund, then?
Well, I suppose one could argue that nothing in this world has an absolutely certain outcome - occurrences such as a nuclear war or an asteroid impact would alter the odds on just about any eventuality - so, if the test is absolute certainty, any investment could be considered betting or gambling. That even extends to holding one's investments in cash since history shows us (in fact, there are one or two present-day examples without resorting to history books) that even governments are not necessarily 100% secure. But all this is rather off topic so I'll end my comments there.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:53 pm

"But all this is rather off topic so I'll end my comments there."

It has drifted a bit! Fantastic result in the event - congratulations to all involved.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:26 pm
I hope the England team enjoyed Kazakhstan. I was there in 2012 (in Almaty, rather than Astana) and it is a very interesting country (mixture of influences from Russia and Central Asian cultures). Wonder if it has changed much in the past six years.
It's certainly changing now (Scotland about to kick off in the football) according to the BBC website
The Astana Arena is going to need a name change...

That's because Kazakhstan has just renamed its capital Astana to Nursultan to honour outgoing leader Nursultan Nazarbayev, who unexpectedly resigned on Tuesday.

The change was announced after Kassym-Jomart Tokayev was sworn in as president, promising to seek his predecessor's opinion on key decisions.

Mr Nazarbayev, 78, served nearly 30 years as leader of the oil-rich nation.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:46 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:29 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:16 am
Is online gambling illegal in this country?
No, but deceiving banks as to the purpose of accounts and transactions in order to hide illegal activity may well be.

Besides, as I observed last time this came up, when Isai Scheinberg wants to make a public statement explaining why he's on the Isle of Man and what should happen to the outstanding indictments against him, I'll take an interest in his defence. Until then he's just another fugitive from the law, no?
I'd missed that the case concluded
US District Court Judge Lewis Kaplan sentenced Scheinberg to time served and a $30k fine for operating an illegal gambling business. Scheinberg pled guilty to that charge in March, after surrendering to US authorities in January following his arrest the previous summer in Switzerland.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:55 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:29 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:16 am
Is online gambling illegal in this country?
No, but deceiving banks as to the purpose of accounts and transactions in order to hide illegal activity may well be.
The charges of that nature against Scheinberg were dropped by the US authorities. It is my understanding that the offence to which he pleaded guilty would not have been an offence in the UK.