Page 1 of 2
GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:48 pm
by Paul Cooksey
My only connection is as a customer. I was thinking of getting the Sokolov one anyway. But in case anyone else interested:
GingerGM Collection
- Killer d4 (GM Simon Williams)
NEW! Secrets of Positional Sacrifices (GM Ivan Sokolov)
Crash Test Chess 1 (GM Simon Williams)
Crash Test Chess 2 (GM Simon Williams)
Killer Dragon (GM Simon Williams)
Killer Grand Prix (GM Gawain Jones)
Killer Endgames (GM Nick Pert)
Plaskett’s Greatest Hits (GM James Plaskett)
Sokolov Explains (GM Ivan Sokolov)
Killer Dutch (GM Simon Williams)
Killer French (GM Simon Williams)
Killer c3 Sicilian (IM Sam Collins)
Improve Your Practical Play (GM Danny Gormally)
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:27 am
by Joshua Gibbs
I have downloaded one of the above DVDs and it is very good value for money.
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:11 am
by Paul Dargan
Yep - I got the full set too ... they even give you updates on new stuff when it comes out.
Why not support Simion and the other (mainly) British authors of these DVDs
Paul
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:28 am
by Joshua Gibbs
Paul Dargan wrote:
Why not support Simion and the other (mainly) British authors of these DVDs
Paul
I think the easy availability of pirate copies and the fact that many people think authors are by neccessity millionaires makes them not want to buy online.
M
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:07 am
by Carl Hibbard
Joshua Gibbs wrote:Paul Dargan wrote:
Why not support Simon and the other (mainly) British authors of these DVDs
Paul
I think the easy availability of pirate copies and the fact that many people think authors are by neccessity millionaires makes them not want to buy online.
M
The biggest load of nonsense I have heard in quite some time.
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:44 am
by Paul Dargan
Cards on the table I have easy access to pirate copies of these if I want it (I won't mention specific sites - but it's not hard if you try) - I know that Simon Williams and Simon Ansell do what they can to get them taken down from torrent file-sharing sites when they know about it ... but there's just so many, and mainly in dubious juristictions. I did here that some 'customer' of theirs had put Simon's recent d4 repertoire online within a day or two of it being released ...
I can only say that the quality of the DVD's that I have seen is excellent - obviously some of the specific opening material will be a little dated in the megapack - but the Sokolov material, attack like Tal, etc... will all have longevity, the d4 stuff is recent, and theory in the c3 sicilian is somewhat slower to devevelop.
Personal choice obviously - but seemed liek a well-spent £40 to me. YMMV.
Paul
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:33 pm
by John Upham
Joshua Gibbs wrote:
I think the easy availability of pirate copies and the fact that many people think authors are by neccessity millionaires makes them not want to buy online.
M
Do you think statements such as the above enhance or degrade your reputation?

Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:39 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Clearly someone called 'M' has hijacked Joshua's account. He would never say anything as silly as that.
How does anyone find 100 hours to spend watching the DVDs? Or to put that another way, how long does it take those who have the DVDs to work their way through them (presuming they do work through them properly)?
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:46 pm
by Joshua Gibbs
Carl Hibbard wrote:Joshua Gibbs wrote:Paul Dargan wrote:
Why not support Simon and the other (mainly) British authors of these DVDs
Paul
I think the easy availability of pirate copies and the fact that many people think authors are by neccessity millionaires makes them not want to buy online.
M
The biggest load of nonsense I have heard in quite some time.
To be honest i think it true with people my age!
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:49 pm
by Joshua Gibbs
John Upham wrote:
Do you think statements such as the above enhance or degrade your reputation?

I think it shows my job as a market trader both here and in Istanbul has alerted me to counterfeiting and fencing methods.
I also think the general public are very very naive about how much authors earn!
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:08 pm
by Alan Walton
I have spoken with a well known chess player who is a top 100 player and also is in the world of chess publishing (not writing books)
I asked generally how much was his annual income was from his endeavours and he said around $150,000 a year
Even from this salary would make him nowhere near a millionaire
Deriving from this I would say the income from writing books themselves wouldn't make them millionaires
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:14 pm
by Joshua Gibbs
Alan Walton wrote:I have spoken with a well known chess player who is a top 100 player and also is in the world of chess publishing (not writing books)
I asked generally how much was his annual income was from his endeavours and he said around $150,000 a year
Even from this salary would make him nowhere near a millionaire
Deriving from this I would say the income from writing books themselves wouldn't make them millionaires
But many people on the street would think they would be in my opinion....
is he top 100 in the world or the UK?
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 pm
by John Upham
Joshua Gibbs wrote:
To be honest i think it true with people my age!
Stereotyping is often dangerous especially when you tar particular groups with your own unfortunate brush.
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:01 pm
by Alan Walton
Joshua Gibbs wrote:Alan Walton wrote:I have spoken with a well known chess player who is a top 100 player and also is in the world of chess publishing (not writing books)
I asked generally how much was his annual income was from his endeavours and he said around $150,000 a year
Even from this salary would make him nowhere near a millionaire
Deriving from this I would say the income from writing books themselves wouldn't make them millionaires
But many people on the street would think they would be in my opinion....
is he top 100 in the world or the UK?
In the world
Re: GingerGM 24hr sale
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:44 pm
by Joshua Gibbs
John Upham wrote:Joshua Gibbs wrote:
To be honest i think it true with people my age!
Stereotyping is often dangerous especially when you tar particular groups with your own unfortunate brush.
I dont download pirates myself, we wouldn't have many great films if pirating was around then they were made