John Saunders wrote:The April CHESS Magazine is out now. Copies and subs
can be ordered here...
A 14-page 'taster' PDF can be downloaded FREE from the website, including a complete six-page article on chess in the 1940s, written by Leonard Barden and me.
The 60-page magazine itself is packed with annotated games, colour piccies, news, etc, articles by GMs Daniel King and James Plaskett, IMs Andrew Greet and Lorin D'Costa, soon to be IM(!) Yang-Fan Zhou (annotating his win against Keith Arkell from Brighton), Sabrina Chevannes, Sean Marsh, and much more.
I recently finished reading my copy of the April CHESS and wanted to say how much I enjoyed the articles on chess in the 1940s and the article on some of the history of the Varsity Match, and also the interview Sabrina did with the woman running a chess school in Turkey.
I would give more details and names here (of the chess school in Turkey), but I've lent my copy to someone else and don't have it handy to refer to. There were two questions/points I had, though, relating to two of the articles:
(1) The pedantic point first: one of the articles had a reference to someone who had a crater on the far side of the Moon named after him. The article, however, referred to the dark side of Moon, which made me wince slightly as I read it. As I don't have the article to hand, did I miss a Pink Floyd reference there, or was this just incorrect wording?
(2) The Varsity Match article referred to a match in (I think) the 1950s with one of the chess players named as either Roger John Tayler or Roger John Taylor. I think the former, though as I said above I don't have the issue of this magazine to hand to double-check the spelling. This name caught my attention, as I've recently been reading about an astronomer called Roger John Tayler (1929-1997) who studied at Cambridge, was later briefly President of the Royal Astronomical Society, and who did work in various areas of astrophysics. I was wondering if they were one and the same?
One of Roger John Tayler's obituaries is here:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1997BAAS...29.1491M
It says he went to Clare College, and graduated in 1950, and then did his PhD under Hermann Bondi. Bondi's Wikipedia article says that he "lectured in mathematics at the University of Cambridge from 1945 to 1954", so I'm presuming (not definite by any means) that Tayler did his PhD at Cambridge (Tayler also has a Wikipedia article but that doesn't explicitly say where he did his PhD), so the dates would just about fit depending on when the Varsity Match in question was (I think the article said 1951, but can't be sure). It would be interesting to know if they were the same person - maybe the Varsity Match records give the colleges of the participants?
The other (indirect) chess connection here is the author of Tayler's obituary, one Leon Mestel (who also wrote a longer article on Tayler in
Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society - that article might mention any chess connection if any exists). Leon Mestel is the father of Jonathan Mestel (British chess grandmaster).
Ah, I think I've answered my own question. I was searching under the incorrect spelling of Taylor. If you search for "Roger Tayler" and "chess", on the second (and later) page of Google hits you get links to Shenstonian magazine issues from 1948 (presumably an old boys' school alumni magazine), which refer to a Roger Tayler at Clare College obtaining a half-blue in chess. So almost certainly the same Tayler.
For example, from the September 1952 issue:
"Roger Tayler (Clare), who has been President of the University Chess Club and Chairman of the British Universities' Chess Association, has submitted a Fellowship thesis and continues research into the constitution of stars." - The Shenstonian - the magazine of Solihull School (1952 September XLIX Number 1)
An interesting snippet of British chess history there (managing to bring in BUCA as-it-was-then as well).