VACANCIES: CSC looking for chess coaches

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
Sabrina Chevannes

VACANCIES: CSC looking for chess coaches

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Chess in Schools and Communities is now a fully operational charity with three main objectives:

To encourage teaching and playing chess in state schools and inner city communities
To organise and promote world class chess events as a catalyst for mass participation
To raise the profile of chess and highlight its educational and social benefits

We are setting up chess clubs in about 60 different schools around the UK and are currently looking for chess coaches in the following areas:

LONDON – the boroughs of Newham, Barnet, Hackney and Hammersmith
BIRMINGHAM
MANCHESTER – Tameside
LIVERPOOL

Chess lessons will not just be conducted during lunchtime and after school. We are also seeking curriculum time from participating schools to allow coaches to work around existing commitments.

If you are interested in becoming a coach for Chess in Schools and Communities, please contact Sabrina Chevannes at [email protected].

IM Jack Rudd

Re: VACANCIES: CSC looking for chess coaches

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm

All a bit far from me. I'd be interested if you were to expand into the south-west, though.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:42 pm

These positions are not just starting now, but can be from September onwards. There are no full time commitments or anything, you can work around your current schedule.

Paul Bielby

Post by Paul Bielby » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:38 pm

There is always a shortage of chess coaches - certainly in this area the Northumbria Junior Chess Association is always being asked to arrange for chess coaching in schools. (Incidentally the NJCA has been 'covering up' for the Chess Sets in Schools Scheme and has been providing sets for schools when they've been let down by the ECF scheme)

Do the CSC directly employ their coaches? In which case how much do they pay? The NJCA does not do this - it is left to individuals to sort something out with the schools. In our area payment varies very much from authority to authority and even school to school. One local authority pays £22 per hour to graduates and £18 per hour to non-graduates (Irrespective of chess ability!) In another the demand is for volunteer coaches who don't need payment. The Public Schools are a law unto themselves and it's a question of how much they are prepared to pay.

In all cases the coaches are CRB cleared - quite possibly three or four times if they coach in more than one school or authority.

I am lucky in that I coach in a school where I am regarded and treated as a full teacher; some others are treated more as teaching assistants and are regarded as outsiders and sometimes viewed with suspicion by the regular staff (especially those who run football teams and object to some of the kids 'wasting time' on what they regard as a 'pleasant indoor pastime'!)

BogdanLalic

Post by BogdanLalic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:Chess in Schools and Communities is now a fully operational charity with three main objectives:

To encourage teaching and playing chess in state schools and inner city communities
To organise and promote world class chess events as a catalyst for mass participation
To raise the profile of chess and highlight its educational and social benefits

We are setting up chess clubs in about 60 different schools around the UK and are currently looking for chess coaches in the following areas:

LONDON – the boroughs of Newham, Barnet, Hackney and Hammersmith
BIRMINGHAM
MANCHESTER – Tameside
LIVERPOOL

Chess lessons will not just be conducted during lunchtime and after school. We are also seeking curriculum time from participating schools to allow coaches to work around existing commitments.

If you are interested in becoming a coach for Chess in Schools and Communities, please contact Sabrina Chevannes at [email protected].

I am interested to work as a chess coach, my name is Bogdan Lalic, grandmaster, elo 2491, my telephone number is 02086415225, e-mail is [email protected] [email protected], [email protected]

iulian sofronie

Post by iulian sofronie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Me and my wife are interested in working as chess coaches in UK.
My name is Iulian Sofronie (International Master – Elo 2467), I live in Brasov, Romania and I am the chess trainer of Dinamo Bucuresti Sport Club - Brasov Regional Center. I am also the coordinating trainer of the Romanian Chess Federation’s Youth National League.
My wife, Sofronie (Bilciu) Claudia Ramona (WFIDE Master – Elo 2077) is the chess trainer of Aprily Layos School in Brasov.
I am writing this e-mail because we are looking for a chess club or chess team of schools or kindergarten to train, wishing to permanently move to your country.
For the last 9 years (since 2001) I have been training the junior and senior chess team of Dinamo Bucuresti Sport Club - Brasov Regional Center.
Between 2006 - 2010 I have been councilor in the Executive Council of the Romanian Chess Federation.
Through our activity, both me and my wife have organized many chess competitions and have refereed junior and senior competitions.
I would like to mention some of the results acquired by the children I am training in Brasov:

• Year 2007:
- 1 gold medal at the World Amateur Chess Championship Elo<2000 (Predeal, Romania) – won by the 16 years old Duca Alexandru;
- 1 gold medal at the European Youth Rapid Chess Championship (Subotica, Serbia) – won by Dicu Razvan (boys under 12);
- 12 medals at the National Youth Chess Championship (4 gold, 3 silver, 5 bronze);
- 1 bronze medal at the National Youth Team Championship (boys under 10).

• Year 2008:
- 1 silver medal at the European Youth Blitz Chess Championship (Herceg Novi, Muntenegru) – won by Anusca Madalina (girls under 18);
- 12 medals at the National Youth Chess Championship (3 gold, 5 silver, 4 bronze);
- 1 gold medal at the National Youth Team Championship (boys under 10).

• Year 2009:
- 1 silver medal at the World Amateur Chess Championship Elo<2000 – won by the 11 years old Toma Radu Cristian
- 1 silver medal at the European Youth Rapid Chess Championship (Subotica, Serbia) – won by Toma Radu Cristian (boys under 12).
- 10 medals at the National Youth Chess Championship (2 gold, 3 silver, 5 bronze);
- 1 bronze medal at the National Youth Team Championship (boys under 12).

• Year 2010:
- 1 silver medal at the European Youth Rapid Chess Championship (Subotica, Serbia) – won by Toma Radu Cristian (boys under 12).
- 1 gold medal at the European U14 Championship in Solving Chess Problems – won by Toma Radu Cristian;
- 8 medals at the National Youth Chess Championship (4 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze);

The senior team I am training (consisting of: GM Lupulescu Constantin – Elo 2618, GM Jianu Vlad – Elo 2504, GM Badea Bela – Elo 2495, GM Nanu Costica Ciprian – Elo 2515, IM Ardelean George Catalin – Elo 2514) won the Romanian Rapid Chess Team Cup over the last 4 years and successfully took part at national and international competitions.

My wife, Sofronie (Bilciu) Claudia took part in competitions while she was a junior, winning the following titles:
- 1 gold medal at the World Youth Chess Championship (1990 – Wisconsin, USA)
- 2 gold medals at the European Youth Chess Championship (1992 – Rimavska Sobota, Slovakia and 1993 – Szombathely, Hungary)
Since 2000 she has been training children in schools and chess clubs.

e-mail:[email protected], tel:0040745629892