Prometheus - a new game

Use this section to advertise yourself or your products.
Kevin Thurlow

Prometheus - a new game

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:41 am

I was sent an advert...

https://www.prometheusconcept.com/?utm_ ... EW,RD21J,1

Apparently, "Prometheus is more fun than chess"

I didn't realise chess was supposed to be fun.

JustinHorton

Re: Prometheus - a new game

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:57 pm

The strategy game has already received many accolades in schools, colleges and universities
"....none of which we are able to quote here"
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:55 pm

There are also many health benefits including promoting cognitive skills, problem solving skills, encouraging foresight and planning, improving memory and overall well-being. Playing Prometheus can also help stimulate the brain and help people who are on the road to wellness.
Oh aye
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:27 pm

Helpfully for chess players the board is the same orientation. At close to £300, it might be cheaper to emulate the Beirut captives and make the pieces out of foil cheese wrappers instead (subject to being able to buy enough). However, based on the campaign query string parameters that Kevin left in the link, for the target market of the advert, the retail price is possibly not a significant financial outlay.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:10 pm

I've always felt that playing chess is more akin to the legend of Sisyphus, though Shirov might appreciate the Prometheus story.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:16 pm

I'd be astonished if this was a good game. But I like the look of it.

If I could justify another chess set in my home, it would probably be the Man Rey one from the 1920's

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:50 pm

I noticed that the number of vertices determined the number of squares a piece could move, so a cube moves 8 squares, a tetrahedron 4, pyramid 5, and the thing which they call a sphere but isn't (as it would roll away) 0. But from the explanatory video, once you hit an opposing piece, you stopped. Also it wasn't clear if you could go cube from a1-a5 and back again. But presumably you just want to capture something, so there doesn't seem to be much strategy. You just hack away at the opposition and every time you make a capture, you get recaptured.

I may be over-thinking this...

I hasten to add that a friend sent me the advert so I forwarded it as being of possible interest. I am not trying to sell the product or damage it.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:37 pm

I wonder if, in most starting positions, if not all, it's a forced win for one side or the other after only a few moves (rather than a lot of moves, which must be the case).

I also wonder if the forced win that must be there eventually is always for gold if he puts his sphere on the best square.