Facemask Openings

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
David Sedgwick

Facemask Openings

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:57 am

I am looking for an opening repertoire for games where I am obliged to wear a facemask and therefore want to get the game over quickly one way or another.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dubious but not hopeless gambits or counter-gambits are one obvious possibility. So are lines which more or less force the opponent to acquiesce in a draw.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:16 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:57 am
Dubious but not hopeless gambits or counter-gambits are one obvious possibility. So are lines which more or less force the opponent to acquiesce in a draw.
How about that one in the Spanish, the Russian (or are they Ukranian) sisters always use? I don't think it's totally forced though.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:32 am

"I am looking for an opening repertoire for games where I am obliged to wear a facemask and therefore want to get the game over quickly one way or another."

Just play your usual stuff!

Or the Halloween Gambit...

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:58 pm

Don't worry there is something more scarier than the Halloween Gambit coming.
The last Round 4 game has literally just finished at Scarborough.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:17 pm

There's always the Fred isn't there :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:52 pm

its probably better not to play at all than play half heartedly. I'm sure we've all played games when we've not felt at our best, perhaps to avoid a default, and there are plenty of times that something annoying might have arisen at the venue during the match, but setting out to give less than best endeavours seems to be discourteous and if a consistent pattern then would surely bring the game into disrepute. I doubt a player consistently playing under the influence would be tolerated, I'm struggling to see the difference.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:28 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:52 pm
its probably better not to play at all than play half heartedly.
My view too, and I imagine that David's post was only half serious.

In London, there are now opportunities to play league chess in tolerable conditions almost every night of the week.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:41 pm

I hope David's post was indeed only half serious but its not always easy to tell :roll:

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:20 pm

play your usual stuff faster

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:06 am

It would be interesting to know if, once the league is underway, whether the LL intend to do any canvassing on the number of players participating who would not otherwise do so if their central venue rules on masks were not in place. I'm assuming that the rules have been introduced on the belief (based on evidence or not i don't know) that some players will want it, although whether as a pre-condition of playing not so sure (there will presumably be some who support it, but won't play anyway).

I notice also that the rules seem to include an "absolute requirement" to follow Government Guidance:
It is an absolute requirement that players obey Government Guidance regarding their personal conduct
as set out at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-co ... d-cannotdo and elsewhere
A bit quiet on the penalties though, unsurprisingly perhaps as this includes "get vaccinated", "use the NHS Covid App", "limit close contact" (bit of a problem that one perhaps), "take tests if asymptomatic" etc.

All no doubt good advice in general - but perhaps not something that should be labelled up as an "absolute requirement" of the league...
Last edited by Richard Bates on Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:52 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:06 am
(there will presumably be some who support it, but won't play anyway).
My experience in London is that most people who support it won't play anyway.

This week I have had two train journeys to chess matches, with in each case people being left on the platform because there was not physically room for one more on the train. The idea that players will be willing to risk that to play chess, but then insist on the wearing of masks in a spacious and well ventilated playing hall, is just daft. Anyone concerned about Covid will sensibly stay at home.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 am

I did train journeys to and from Manchester yesterday; despite the electronic notices constantly asking us all to wear facemasks (on the train and stations), most of the passengers didn't, but then again neither did Northern staff either (at least now Northern is in public ownership, the trains ran on time and were much more pleasant); they weren't packed though

Nearly everyone will travel to chess matches by car here, though, so Nick's comments don't apply
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:08 pm

The London League position on masks was decided by club reps at an EGM.

I support the reference in the rules to Government advice though, had it been me, I guess I would have worded it differently.

Um, I have some concern about the seating arrangements for the Citadines venue in particular. I think it's still going to be cramped. This said, there will be mechanical ventilation and there will be air purifiers with HEPA filters.

I guess we'll see how many players participate. Matches at the two central venues start this week. Matches at clubs' own venues started last week. Results will be visible at https://www.londonchess.org.uk/main.php - see 'Match Cards'.

John Sargent and others have made significant efforts to get OTB competitions restarted.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:19 pm

Angus French wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:08 pm
Um, I have some concern about the seating arrangements for the Citadines venue in particular.
Does that mean you won't be playing there?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:41 pm

on 6.11 was hoping for David Facemask Opening with black. Default 0-1 means a wait