Facemask Openings

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
NickFaulks
Posts: 6991
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:24 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:41 pm
on 6.11 was hoping for David Facemask Opening with black. Default 0-1 means a wait
You would have been disappointed anyway, because there were no facemasks.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey
Posts: 1812
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:37 pm

You were not at cheam. WE wore facemasks. Default was no show.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4651
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon
Contact:

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:18 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:37 pm
You were not at cheam. WE wore facemasks. Default was no show.
I counted 9 or 10 people wearing facemasks, so about one in three of the 31 players who made it.

All of them were wearing the stronger masks which protect the wearer, The only person wearing one of the little blue masks was I. I abided by the recommendation in the SCCU Risk Assessment that masks should be worn when not seated at the board in play. I was never in that situation, as my opponent didn't show up.

It was not an occasion when I would have needed a facemask opening. Players were not required to wear facemasks during play, and two-thirds of them did not do so, as I have indicated above.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 4787
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:40 pm

I played an 6-to-8-board "friendly" match last week and I think I was the only player wearing a mask. I was probably the only player who went out to sanitise hands after shaking hands at the start...

Richard Bates
Posts: 3182
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:00 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:40 pm
I played an 6-to-8-board "friendly" match last week and I think I was the only player wearing a mask. I was probably the only player who went out to sanitise hands after shaking hands at the start...
I reckon there was more cause to do that with chess players before the pandemic!

Angus French
Posts: 1899
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by Angus French » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:36 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:18 pm
Nick Grey wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:37 pm
You were not at cheam. WE wore facemasks. Default was no show.
I counted 9 or 10 people wearing facemasks, so about one in three of the 31 players who made it.

All of them were wearing the stronger masks which protect the wearer, The only person wearing one of the little blue masks was I. I abided by the recommendation in the SCCU Risk Assessment that masks should be worn when not seated at the board in play. I was never in that situation, as my opponent didn't show up.

It was not an occasion when I would have needed a facemask opening. Players were not required to wear facemasks during play, and two-thirds of them did not do so, as I have indicated above.
David, can I ask: have you tried wearing, say, an FFP2 (or N95) mask (or even an FFP3/N99 mask)? I ask because I believe that, while not perfect, these provide a much better fit than the standard blue surgical masks and may not fog-up your glasses so much?

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4651
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon
Contact:

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:06 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:36 pm
David, can I ask: have you tried wearing, say, an FFP2 (or N95) mask (or even an FFP3/N99 mask)? I ask because I believe that, while not perfect, these provide a much better fit than the standard blue surgical masks and may not fog-up your glasses so much?
Thank you for the suggestion. I can play chess without wearing my glasses, but they certainly fog up when I am wearing a mask in other situations.

However, everything I have heard suggests to me that the FFP2 and the FFP3 masks are at least as uncomfortable as the blue masks.

Angus French
Posts: 1899
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by Angus French » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:39 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:06 pm
Angus French wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:36 pm
David, can I ask: have you tried wearing, say, an FFP2 (or N95) mask (or even an FFP3/N99 mask)? I ask because I believe that, while not perfect, these provide a much better fit than the standard blue surgical masks and may not fog-up your glasses so much?
Thank you for the suggestion. I can play chess without wearing my glasses, but they certainly fog up when I am wearing a mask in other situations.

However, everything I have heard suggests to me that the FFP2 and the FFP3 masks are at least as uncomfortable as the blue masks.
I have some FFP2 masks which I'm comfortable wearing (the materials which touch the face are soft and the ear loops aren't overstretched). There's a mouldable nose clip to provide a decent seal. If I'm not exerting myself - e.g. if I'm seated - and wearing glasses there's a slight amount of fog but not much (and it clears quickly and doesn't distract). I can breath fine. If I walk outside while wearing the mask I'm generally fine though there is a difference (I think the more so when it's colder). If I walk at a fast pace or climb steps then breathing is more difficult and my glasses do fog. I understand there are anti-fog sprays for glasses but I haven't tried any.

I'd be interested to know of the experience of others using FFP2/3 masks, especially when playing competitive OTB chess.
Last edited by Angus French on Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 4787
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Facemask Openings

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:39 pm

"I reckon there was more cause to do that with chess players before the pandemic!"

Good point... I wasn't accusing my affable opponent, just being very careful.

David - https://blutechlenses.com/blog/how-to-w ... s-fogging/ might help.

Admittedly, local shop keepers with glasses soon gave up and used face shields.

Post Reply