Really enjoyed this one

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Nicky Chorley

Really enjoyed this one

Post by Nicky Chorley » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:49 pm

I just finished this correspondence game that we started in mid-June. It was fascinating! I probably shouldn't have allowed White's rook in, but the a pawn provided counterplay. It seemed sensible to then give it up in order to get the two connected pawns in the middle that I could just push. Was slightly worried that my opponent might be able to sac their bishop for the pawns, but it didn't come to pass.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Really enjoyed this one

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:12 pm

Nicely played.

(I don't think I'd have played 16...Bxa4, for what it's worth - it gives white open lines on the queenside from which he can get counterplay. I think I'd have gone for 16...Bb5.

Matthew Turner

Re: Really enjoyed this one

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:36 pm

You did very well to control the game in the ending with the Knight been the best minor piece.

I think you missed a chance at the very start of the middlegame when you played 13.....Qc7 This is obviously very sensible, but in this position White's pieces are a bit loose, so rather than looking for a good move you want to be searching for a winning one. You might think about Rxc3 or Ne4 or Qa5, but I think it is Bb4 that does the trick. It is somewhat counter-intuitive because you pin your f6 Knight, but if you are of the mindset that you are looking for a winning move then you are allowing to break from 'principled' play a bit.