Page 1 of 1
Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:14 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
The latest grading list still has him in it - at the age of 95!!
Can anyone beat that in the current list? Or indeed in past ones (ever been an active recipient of the Queen's Telegram?)
(and, yes, I think this counts as "Chess History" - living history innit?

)
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:03 pm
by Sean Hewitt
Frank Oldaker of Nuneaton (6 months older than Mr Bloodworth) is the oldest active player in the grading list. Mr Bloodworth is second only to him.
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:25 pm
by Rob Thompson
I remember playing Ken 4 years ago at Paignton. I was 12 at the time - he was 92. This ensured that the game got written up in the local paper, so many people could see me walk into an opening trap that i hadn't seen before

Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:16 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Any advance on 95 year olds in previous grading lists, then?
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:44 pm
by Paul Buswell
Matt Mackenzie wrote:Any advance on 95 year olds in previous grading lists, then?
My memory on this is vague indeed, but I seem to recall an active Northumbrian centenarian player 20 or 30 years ago - perhaps a reader from that neck of the woods can assist?
PB
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:58 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
George (G S) Sell is who you are thinking of I believe - but I don't think he played "seriously" beyond his early 90s.
There was another player in Northumberland around that time (Wells?) who kept on to a great age too.......
And slightly to the south there was more recently the almost as venerable Les Stuart (RIP)
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03 am
by William Metcalfe
Les was a close friend of mine if my memory serves me right he was still graded about 180 when he passed away he was still playing to a very high standard till a few months before he passed away i remember him beating a couple of 200 graded players.
Les was also runner up in the british champs sometime in the 50s i think then work and his wifes stroke kept him from playing competative chess for 25/30 years i think.
In his latter years he did a lot of work with tim wall and he did a lot of work which i helped him with in his pin line in the scillian
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:01 am
by Howard Grist
According to the ECF grading database which goes back to 1994, the oldest player to appear on the grading list is Philip Gelman of Wood Green who appeared in the 2003 grading list at the age of 102.
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 am
by Matt Mackenzie
So there's at least one then (telegram recipient I mean

)
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 am
by Alex Holowczak
Matt Mackenzie wrote:So there's at least one then (telegram recipient I mean

)
Not necessarily. Since 1982, you only get a "telemessage" if you apply for one.
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:58 am
by Matt Mackenzie
Pedant

You know what I mean

Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:18 pm
by Geoff Chandler
Rob Thompson wrote:I remember playing Ken 4 years ago at Paignton. I was 12 at the time - he was 92. This ensured that the game got written up in the local paper, so many people could see me walk into an opening trap that i hadn't seen before

Hi Rob,
Any chance of getting a copy of the game.
I did a little bit of surfing but no joy.
Geoff
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:18 pm
by Rob Thompson
not sure it will be that useful (i.e. horrible queen blunder) but here it is:
[Event "Paignton Congress"]
[Site "Paignton"]
[Date "2005.09.06"]
[Round "3"]
[White "Bloodworth, Kenneth"]
[Black "Thompson, Robert"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "C00"]
[PlyCount "23"]
[EventType "swiss"]
[EventRounds "7"]
[EventCountry "ENG"]
1. e4 e6 2. Nf3 d5 3. Nc3 d4 4. Ne2 c5 5. c3
Nc6 6. cxd4 cxd4 7. Qa4 Bc5 8. b4 Bxb4 9. Nexd4 Nge7 10.
Bb5 Qb6 11. Qxb4 a6 12. Bxc6+
1-0
I think i was aiming to use the pin on the queen to win back the bishop, without realising that i was actually just blundering horribly. I had been totallly confused by his line before that though, which may have contributed to the disaster.
Re: Ken Bloodworth
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:14 pm
by Geoff Chandler
Brilliant - a perfect game for the Corner.
Pity I just posted one a few minutes ago - next week.