University Chess Annual, 1950 - 1953/4
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:26 pm
Among my stash of old chess bulletins and booklets I found four issues of University Chess Annual, from its 1st edition in November 1950, through to the 4th (and, I think, final) edition in 1953/4.
I have scanned all four issues in and made them available on BritBase as PDFs. I have also input all 92 games and part-games featured in the publication and put them in a game viewer:
http://www.saund.co.uk/britbase/britbasedocuments.html
I was sent some of this material out of the blue some years ago by Dr Geoff Parbrook, who was a founder editor of the publication and had seen a reference I had made to BUCA in an article in BCM (I can't remember precisely which article). He kindly sent me the material as he was getting on a bit and didn't want the material to disappear when he did. This was about seven years ago and, sadly, an online check revealed that he died a couple of years ago.
This 20+ page publication was of good quality and it had articles and annotations by the likes of Leonard Barden, Peter Clarke and Abe Yanofsky, plus some photos and BUCA congress reports. Well worth a look. I'm not absolutely certain that it foundered after four issues but I think it did, at least in that form and under that particular title. I have one or two other subsequent BUCA publications from the mid-1960s (which I hope to put online in due course) but nothing as nicely printed as this early 1950s effort. Of course, it is inevitable that student-produced publications should have a short life, since people are only students briefly and often have a particularly busy time when starting their post-uni careers.
I have scanned all four issues in and made them available on BritBase as PDFs. I have also input all 92 games and part-games featured in the publication and put them in a game viewer:
http://www.saund.co.uk/britbase/britbasedocuments.html
I was sent some of this material out of the blue some years ago by Dr Geoff Parbrook, who was a founder editor of the publication and had seen a reference I had made to BUCA in an article in BCM (I can't remember precisely which article). He kindly sent me the material as he was getting on a bit and didn't want the material to disappear when he did. This was about seven years ago and, sadly, an online check revealed that he died a couple of years ago.
This 20+ page publication was of good quality and it had articles and annotations by the likes of Leonard Barden, Peter Clarke and Abe Yanofsky, plus some photos and BUCA congress reports. Well worth a look. I'm not absolutely certain that it foundered after four issues but I think it did, at least in that form and under that particular title. I have one or two other subsequent BUCA publications from the mid-1960s (which I hope to put online in due course) but nothing as nicely printed as this early 1950s effort. Of course, it is inevitable that student-produced publications should have a short life, since people are only students briefly and often have a particularly busy time when starting their post-uni careers.