Fedor Bohatirchuk / Bogatyrchuk
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:19 pm
Bob Wade got himself into a vicious controversy with Canadian players and officials in the early 1950's, when as acting Vice President of FIDE, he questioned the value of a separate Zone for Canada and failed to support the Canadian application for the International Master title for the recent immigrant, Fedor Bohatirchuk.
He, too honest for his own good, wrote openly about the affair in his column in Canadian Chess Chat:
[email quote deleted at request of sender]
The reference to a large pile of correspondence at FIDÉ is actually:
I asked several FIDÉ officials, but their answers seemed to me to be couldn't be bothered brush-offs. Stewart Reuben, you visit FIDÉ in an official capacity, don't you? I couldn't trouble you to intervene on my behalf, could I? I would be very grateful. Indeed, I would be grateful if anyone, at all, could help me lay hands on FIDÉ papers from 1949 to 1953 dealing with Bob Wade's work at FIDÉ.
Thanks.
Best Regards,
Paul McKeown
He, too honest for his own good, wrote openly about the affair in his column in Canadian Chess Chat:
After much wrangling and many bitter personal attacks, Bob pointed out to the Canadians how FB might qualify for the title:Canadian Chess Chat, October 1952, pp. 22-23 wrote: THE F.I.D.E. CONGRESS (By Robert G. Wade)
There were distinct hints of trouble over Canada's nomination of Bohatyrchuk for the title of international master. There is no issue on the question of his strength, but his actual international results are not impressive due to his not being a prize-winner in events that were colossally strong like Moscow, 1925, when the top players were Bogoljubow, Lasker and Capablanca. However, there is an underlying political issue as the U.S.S.R. regard Bohatirchuk as a renegade. It must be realized that a vote on the issue as to whether Bohatyrchuk is to be granted the title will resolve itself as follows:- against - all the Stalinist Communist countries plus those of the countries who are (a) unwilling to offend personal friends who are delegates from the above Communist countries, and (b) genuinely uncertain about the merits of the case, either politically or on strength as a chess player. It is quite impossible to have an objective discussion on this question. Your Federation must decide whether to split the F.I.D.E., without probable gain of principle, I personally judge him worthy of the title on the grounds of strength and do not wish to consider any political question. I would be in a minority. Is it worth fighting? There was no decision this year.
Canada duly re-applied for FB's title, as his record in the Soviet championship more than met the required standard of participating in three finals:Chess, Vol. 18 No. 211, April 1953, p. 132 wrote: Canada had nominated Bohatyrchuk for the title of International Master. This nomination was discussed by the F.I.D.E. qualifications commission twice. Ragozin, representing the U.S.S.R., objected to the granting of the title, pointing out that Bohatyrchuk was regarded as a traitor to his country and to the war-time allies. That is one side of the case. Personally I think that it is irrelevant and outside the jurisdiction of an international organisation concerned with chess. If Bohatyrchuk had a clear claim to the title of international master, the Soviet Union’s objections would have to be overruled. There cannot be the least doubt that Bohatyrchuk is far stronger than many who have been granted the title of international master. The weakness of Canada’s case is that the title is granted for international results. Bohatyrchuk participated in only two genuine international events and did not have impressive results due to the fact that these two events were colossally strong. For instance, if my memory serves me right, Bohatyrchuk was 11th at Moscow, 1925—but what a field above him!
There is a resolution passed at the last F.I.D.E. meeting that claims for the master titles based entirely on pre-war record will not be considered after the next congress at Zurich early this September. Canada has to decide this year whether Bohatyrchuk’s record internationally warrants the F.I.D.E. taking a vote on the question in which the voters will be split into three groups—politically against, technically against and technically for. I hope that no one votes for Bohatyrchuk’s claim simply on political grounds.
I have few records with me as I meander around various Scottish clubs, so I cannot consult Bohatyrchuk’s in the U.S.S.R. But if he participated in three U.S.S.R. championship finals prior to the F.I.D.E. 1950 Congress, he automatically is entitled to the title of international master.
- 3= (from 13), 2nd championship, Petrograd 1923
- 3= (from 18), 3rd championship, Moscow 1924
- 1= (from 21), 5th championship, Moscow 1927
- 3= (from 18), 7th championship, Moscow 1931
- 8th (from 20), 8th championship, Leningrad 1933
- 3= (from 20), Leningrad 1935
I have been helped a great deal by a number of people with an interest in Bohatirchuk.Canadian Chess Chat, August-September 1954, p. 22 wrote: I am extremely happy to be able to report that Dr. F. Bohatirchuk is now an International Master. The Qualification committee had met on Sunday morning, Aug. 29, and I arrived in the afternoon to discover that Dr. Bohatirchuk had been turned down because his strength was considered insufficient. There was no disagreement over his right to be considered on his past record. I reopened his case under the heading 'New Business' and claimed that his record was better than that of either Goglidze or Verlinsky. Flohr denied this. Najdorf, who had previously spoken against Dr. Bohatirchuk, admitted that he knew nothing about Moscow 1925, or about Dr. Bohatirchuk's record prior to 1949. I proposed that Dr. Bohatirchuk be admitted now on condition that his record proves to be stronger than that of either Goglidze or Verlinsky. A special meeting of the qualification committee was called, in which Dr. Bohatirchuk was admitted, unanimously, with Russia abstaining from voting.
[email quote deleted at request of sender]
The reference to a large pile of correspondence at FIDÉ is actually:
Can anyone help my correspondents and myself track down this FIDÉ correspondence?Bernard Freeman, excerpt from his report as FIDE Representative at the CFC AGM, pub. Canadian Chess Chat, October 1953, p. 8 wrote:
F. Bohatirchuk: his right to the title of International Chess Master has been presented, with all the required evidence, and will be decided upon at the Annual Meeting being held in Switzerland at the end of August. There is quite a large file on the subject. Over 40 letters sent and received to members of the qualification Committee and the Vice-Presidents, Marcel Berman (France), V. Ragozin (USSR), Ari Ilmakunna (Finland), Harold M. Phillips (New York), Dr. Acosta Silva (Venezuela), Dr. Juan Carlos Laurens (Argentina), J.L. Beale (Australia), F. Rogard (Sweden), Joseph Louma (Prague), etc.
I asked several FIDÉ officials, but their answers seemed to me to be couldn't be bothered brush-offs. Stewart Reuben, you visit FIDÉ in an official capacity, don't you? I couldn't trouble you to intervene on my behalf, could I? I would be very grateful. Indeed, I would be grateful if anyone, at all, could help me lay hands on FIDÉ papers from 1949 to 1953 dealing with Bob Wade's work at FIDÉ.
Thanks.
Best Regards,
Paul McKeown