Imperial Chess Club Tournament 1927
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:05 pm
I have been working (with Bob) for some considerable time on the biography of RGW and during that period I have had a great deal of help from various other writers around the world. Inevitably they have asked me to help them, but most of their requests were too difficult for me. I hope this forum might be of some assistance to them. The first to help me (big time with copies of everything that CJS Purdy wrote in his magazine about Bob in the period from 1936 to 1949) was Maurice Carter an American, how was co-writing a book about Nimzowitsch. Can anyone help him, please? In his own words:
Email From: Maurice Carter, To: Paul McKeown, Sent: 10 July 2005 wrote:Perhaps you can assist me!!
I am working with a fellow countryman of
yours, Phil Hughes. He is Editor of Chess Post,
magazine of the British Correspondence Chess Society and has a web site, Uncrowned Kings.
We are doing a book on Nimzowitsch. Perhaps you
could find out or know someone or a place, or even
ask Mr Wade. I heard he has a large library.
When Nimzowitsch was in the UK in 1927, he played
in 2 events in London. In Oct the British Empire
Event (we have that) and another at the Imperial
Chess Club (we need his games from this event)
and he played at least one simultanous, perhaps more. The ICC and sim were after the BEC event,
so in Nov Dec or Jan 1928.
Perhaps details of the simul,and games from it and the ICC event would be quite helpful.
Also the British Master Frederick Yates. Did he write chess columns in newspapers and
where is a source for them?
The Imperial Chess Club is no more. Who would
perhaps have their Club records?
I have checked the British Chess Magazine for
1927 and 28 which didn't offer any help.
Another long shot is anyone family member or friend played Nimzowitsch in a simul. Maybe
some record was kept. Of course I expect no
one is alive today who played Nimzowitsch
in 1928