Page 1 of 1

Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:44 pm
by John Upham
There are a number of chess books that are out of print that shouldn't be :( (and, likewise, many that are in print that shouldn't be! 8) )

Here are a couple of the former :

Bent Larsen's Good Move Guide, Oxford University Press, 1982
The Penguin Book of Chess Positions by C.H.O'D Alexander, Penguin Books, 1973

Any more for any more?

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:59 pm
by JustinHorton
I would love to see somebody reissue Gerald Abrahams' The Chess Mind.

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 pm
by Gordon Cadden
A book called "The Soviet Chess Conveyor" by Mikhail Shereshevsky, published in Sofia, Bulgaria, 1994 (english language). Chess book reviewers seem to have overlooked this outstanding book.
Very hard to find a second-hand copy. Shereshevsky is a very talented writer.

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm
by Gavin Strachan
Not sure that it is out of print but I did read a book on the middle game by Bellin and someone else which I found really useful, succinct and too the point and vastly improved my chess.

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:35 pm
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
Gavin Strachan wrote:Not sure that it is out of print but I did read a book on the middle game by Bellin and someone else which I found really useful, succinct and too the point and vastly improved my chess.
Perhaps "Test your positional play" by Bellin and Ponzetto?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Test-Your-Posit ... 0713446269

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:54 am
by MSoszynski
Gordon Cadden wrote:A book called "The Soviet Chess Conveyor" by Mikhail Shereshevsky, published in Sofia, Bulgaria, 1994 (english language). Chess book reviewers seem to have overlooked this outstanding book.
Very hard to find a second-hand copy. Shereshevsky is a very talented writer.
Shereshevsky may be a very talented writer, but his translator didn't even know English chess terms. The book could do with substantial editing.

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:06 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
The Kasparov against the World book is very good. Also, Ray Keene's "Becoming a Grandmaster" is well worth a read.

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 pm
by JonManley
Bent Larsen's Good Move Guide, Oxford University Press, 1982
I'd like to obtain a copy of this book. Can anyone help?

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:18 am
by Mike Truran
Not on abebooks as far as I can see, so probably quite hard to track down.

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 pm
by Simon Spivack
Jon Manley wrote:
Bent Larsen's Good Move Guide, Oxford University Press, 1982
I'd like to obtain a copy of this book. Can anyone help?
I own a copy of the paperback edition.

It's in good condition, but not for sale, so I'm probably of no use to Jon; however, if there's something specific he wants to ask, I'll try to answer.

For those who've never seen a copy, the book contains test positions, games and helpful commentary. I concur that it is an excellent book of instruction, a cut above Chernev's offerings that the antonym pedlars promote.

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 pm
by John Philpott
I too have fond memories of Bent Larsen's Good Move Guide. North Chingford Library used to own a copy which I borrowed each year for my annual vacation.

Re: Out of print books that shouldn't be...

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 pm
by PeterTurland
There is a simple solution, Amazon have a device called a 'Kindle' - an electronic book so to speak, these out of print books are an enormous resource, that unless saved for the good of our species, will be lost. There is page turning technology, video technology, character recognition software and a growing readership, the internet is doing for chess what, television did for football.

So okay we get a fund together and with that fund, buy a computerised book reader, pass the reader around to all members that have out of print chess books, as long as we apply the golden rule - problem solved!