Hastings Pier
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:21 am
see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-11473688
isn't this where the Hastings Congress used to be held?
isn't this where the Hastings Congress used to be held?
The independent home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
https://ecforum.org.uk/
The Congress (the non-Premier part) was held in the ballroom at the end of the pier for several years in the nineties.Phil Neatherway wrote:isn't this where the Hastings Congress used to be held?
BBC report wrote:He said the entire ballroom had become a burning framework with bits dropping off into the sea.
I blame it on the pre-May-2010 local Council, who didn't have the nous to realise that the private owners - an investment company registered in Panama - were never ever ever going to invest in the health and safety structural work required. Indeed, I understand the owners cannot now be contacted. Years were lost in trying to follow futile process.Tristan Clayton wrote:This is a real shame, although I know the pier has been unused for some time, as well as being the subject of some local controversy over its ownership and future.
Every year I stay at a B&B near the pier during the Hastings Congress, and have always thought it a pity it's not been used as a real attraction for the town.
Sadly it appears it may be lost for good now; worse news is that it may have been deliberate.