Bobby and Pasadena
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 4:04 pm
Leonard's article in 'The Financial Times' dealing with the 1978 US Championship, won by Kavalek, mentions Bobby Fischer in absentia. We read here that Bobby had played a match "a secret training series" against John Peters. At the time I mentioned this to Paul Lamford who seemed to think Bobby won a modest 2 games, four were drawn.
A glut of recent books on Bobby make me wonder if this encounter might also be mentioned elsewhere but 'The Unknown Fischer' is silent and I am beginning to wonder quite where I heard this first. Donaldson and Tangborn wrote 'The Unknown Bobby Fischer', an earlier publication, but well intentioned I am sure. Again not a sniff ...
So, who can help us now?
James
A glut of recent books on Bobby make me wonder if this encounter might also be mentioned elsewhere but 'The Unknown Fischer' is silent and I am beginning to wonder quite where I heard this first. Donaldson and Tangborn wrote 'The Unknown Bobby Fischer', an earlier publication, but well intentioned I am sure. Again not a sniff ...
So, who can help us now?
James