Page 1 of 1

Thor Speaks: Do you have a copy?

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 5:14 pm
by John Upham
The Michael Basman Publications group (of which I am a member) is searching for missing Audio Chess cassette tapes.

The most sought after is

"Thor Speaks"

which contains spoken word from GM Vlastimil Hort.

Can you help please? :D

Re: Thor Speaks: Do you have a copy?

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 9:56 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
from a talented impersonator of Hort, surely?

Re: Thor Speaks: Do you have a copy?

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 11:49 pm
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
Looks like it was Hort himself:
ThorSpeaks.png
ThorSpeaks.png (25.3 KiB) Viewed 414 times

Re: Thor Speaks: Do you have a copy?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2026 6:15 am
by Kevin Thurlow
I thought it was a rather good impersonation by a Surrey chess player (that I won't identify in case he is shy and modest etc.)

If it had actually been Hort, it probably would have said "Hort", although he did have a sense of humour.

Re: Thor Speaks: Do you have a copy?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2026 10:39 am
by Geoff Chandler
Kevin Thurlow wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 15, 2026 6:15 am
I thought it was a rather good impersonation by a Surrey chess player (that I won't identify in case he is shy and modest etc.)
Kevin, contact the shy modest lad, he may have a copy. I recall hearing it in a students flat full of chess players in Edinburgh.

Re: Thor Speaks: Do you have a copy?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2026 11:17 am
by Richard James
Geoff Chandler wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 15, 2026 10:39 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 15, 2026 6:15 am
I thought it was a rather good impersonation by a Surrey chess player (that I won't identify in case he is shy and modest etc.)
Kevin, contact the shy modest lad, he may have a copy. I recall hearing it in a students flat full of chess players in Edinburgh.
I contacted him several months ago: he was surprised I'd remembered it was him, but hasn't seen his copy since moving house in 1987.