Whilst trying to find Hampshire County records I noticed that in the Hampshire vs Berkshire County match on 16th January 1954 there were two Sir's playing, one for each. Hampshire also had another player who would later become a Sir (Royston Miles "Roy" Goode) in the match, so I count this as three. All players were strong players, as playing on high boards / good results.
I wondered what the highest number who played in a county match (maybe the 100 board matches in the SCCU Ebony matches would be a contender).
Sir R Broomfield - The (in)famous judge who sentenced Gandhi to six years’ in prison (as John Saunders pointed out).
Sir Royston Miles "Roy" Goode - CBE KC FBA (born 6 April 1933) is an academic commercial lawyer in the United Kingdom. Roy also played in the Hampshire Chess Congress the last three years.
Sir Alexander Percival Waterfield, KBE, CB (16 May 1888 – 2 June 1965), commonly known as Percival Waterfield, was an English civil servant.
What is the highest number of "Titled" players in a County Match
-
GrahamStuart
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:04 am
- Location: Blackfield
- Contact:
What is the highest number of "Titled" players in a County Match
- Attachments
-
- Hants vs Berks 16 Jan 1954.png (96.13 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
https://www.hampshirechesshistory.co.uk
@HCAChessHistory
@HCAChessHistory
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: What is the highest number of "Titled" players in a County Match
That could well be a record but there could be other contenders given the large numbers of chess-playing 'sirs' over the years, particularly amongst Oxbridge-educated players. The first Varsity match in 1873 had two future 'sirs' amongst its 14 players. A quick scan of the BritBase Varsity biography file revealed at least 25 future 'sirs' (either Kt or baronet), including two brothers (who played in different years, 1885 and 1890). And three blind players: Sir Rupert Cross, Sir John Wall and Sir Duncan Amos Watson.
Anyone hoping to equal or better the count of three current/future 'sirs' in one county match will probably need to look out for the following names: G A Thomas, P S Milner-Barry, J W Cornforth, R Robinson, R W B Clarke, T H Tylor, H P Swinnerton-Dyer, W R Cox, most of whom overlapped in terms of their chess participation. More recently, A Fersht, D Roussos, A Eagle (in the latter case 'Dame' - a few other 'Ladies' have played chess but their titles have been by virtue of their husband's title - at the time of writing I couldn't think of any other future Dames who might have played county chess, though there may well have been some).
Before I'm accused of elitism, I should emphasise that not every 'sir' or 'dame' was Oxbridge-educated. One who occurred to me: John P Lawson (Hull CC's long-time and much-admired organiser) tended to hide his baronetcy under a bushel. I'm bound to have forgotten someone - do enlighten me.
Anyone hoping to equal or better the count of three current/future 'sirs' in one county match will probably need to look out for the following names: G A Thomas, P S Milner-Barry, J W Cornforth, R Robinson, R W B Clarke, T H Tylor, H P Swinnerton-Dyer, W R Cox, most of whom overlapped in terms of their chess participation. More recently, A Fersht, D Roussos, A Eagle (in the latter case 'Dame' - a few other 'Ladies' have played chess but their titles have been by virtue of their husband's title - at the time of writing I couldn't think of any other future Dames who might have played county chess, though there may well have been some).
Before I'm accused of elitism, I should emphasise that not every 'sir' or 'dame' was Oxbridge-educated. One who occurred to me: John P Lawson (Hull CC's long-time and much-admired organiser) tended to hide his baronetcy under a bushel. I'm bound to have forgotten someone - do enlighten me.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
-
GrahamStuart
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:04 am
- Location: Blackfield
- Contact:
Re: What is the highest number of "Titled" players in a County Match
I checked some of the names mentioned and three of Hampshire matches had two "Sirs" playing, and in two of the matches they were paired against each other. Namely George A Thomas against P S Milner-Barry (13/03/1937 Hampshire vs Cambridgeshire) and George A Thomas again Sir TH Tylor (08/05/1948 - Hampshire vs Oxfordshire). Both games were drawn.
The other match included George A Thomas and P S Milner-Barry again, but Thomas was on board two behind CHOD Alexander, who played Milner-Barry. This was Hampshire vs Cambridgeshire 12/03/1938.
A Eagle played junior chess in Portsmouth, but I don't think she played for the county from the records I have.
The other match included George A Thomas and P S Milner-Barry again, but Thomas was on board two behind CHOD Alexander, who played Milner-Barry. This was Hampshire vs Cambridgeshire 12/03/1938.
A Eagle played junior chess in Portsmouth, but I don't think she played for the county from the records I have.
https://www.hampshirechesshistory.co.uk
@HCAChessHistory
@HCAChessHistory