Joseph Henry Blackburne photos

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Post Reply
DouglasGriffin
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2026 2:40 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Contact:

Joseph Henry Blackburne photos

Post by DouglasGriffin » Sat May 30, 2026 10:31 am

Found in the archives of the Cleveland Public Library: photos of Joseph Henry Blackburne.
I'm new here, but just in case they have not been posted previously, I thought they may be of interest.

From 1896:
Image
URL: https://cplorg.contentdm.oclc.org/digit ... /131/rec/4

Undated:
Image
URL: https://cplorg.contentdm.oclc.org/digit ... 5638/rec/5

Neil Blackburn
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Joseph Henry Blackburne photos

Post by Neil Blackburn » Sun May 31, 2026 4:19 am

Thanks Douglas and welcome along

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8360
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Joseph Henry Blackburne photos

Post by John Upham » Sun May 31, 2026 2:48 pm

Thanks for posting these. For some reason I thought I had seen them before, maybe on EGWs site but maybe not.

It might be interesting to recolourise them. Sepia toning was the best attempt at colour rendition for many years.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Post Reply