Page 1 of 1
Alexander Peckover
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2026 2:22 pm
by Gerard Killoran
Alexander Peckover was the maternal grandfather of Lionel Penrose
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander ... n_Peckover
He was also an active member of Wisbech Chess club and often visited Simpson's Divan in London.
Included in Penrose's papers held by the Wellcome Collection is a collection of Peckover's games which included the following two, which are of some historical interest.

- Peckover Mason 1.jpg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 2282 times

- Peckover Mason 2a.jpg (112.82 KiB) Viewed 2282 times

- Peckover Mason 2b.jpg (102.37 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
Re: Alexander Peckover
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2026 2:42 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Even for an offhand game, that's a bit of a howler from a player of Mason's strength in the first one.
Re: Alexander Peckover
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2026 5:22 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Are these previously unpublished. If so, an amazing find even by Gerard's already high standards! They are in really good condition as well. Love the "188<blank>" bit. And the "the celebrated American champion chess player" note. Pity about the quality of that first game.
Re: Alexander Peckover
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2026 6:11 pm
by Neil Blackburn
Thanks mate! I was going to do a blog with these games at some point. Your copies are much clearer than the ones I have for some reason. Cheers!
Re: Alexander Peckover
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2026 7:48 pm
by John Clarke
So, the Penrose "chess dynasty" extends two more generations back! Was "AP" any relation to the endgame study composer Joseph Edmund Peckover (1896-1982)? The latter was British-born, but emigrated to the USA in his mid-twenties.
Re: Alexander Peckover
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2026 9:13 pm
by Richard James
John Clarke wrote: ↑Wed Mar 11, 2026 7:48 pm
Was "AP" any relation to the endgame study composer Joseph Edmund Peckover (1896-1982)? The latter was British-born, but emigrated to the USA in his mid-twenties.
I'd asked myself the same question some time ago. It seems they were only very distantly related. They were both from the Quaker Peckover family from Fakenham. Their shared ancestor, at a quick look, might have been Joseph Peckover (1697-1771). Unlike many Quaker families, the Peckovers haven't been very extensively researched.
I'll be visiting the church where JEP was baptised on Friday evening. I'll think of him then. His branch of the family, I'd assume, were no longer Quakers, which might explain the lack of research. I'm not sure why he was baptised in Richmond: they were living in Hampstead at the time and neither parent (his father was a tailor) had any immediate connection to the area. Perhaps the minister was a friend.