Page 1 of 2
Alekhine's books
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2026 7:20 pm
by John Townsend
Can anyone recollect which chess writer wrote, decades ago, that "New York, 1924" by Alekhine was an outstanding book but his "Nottingham, 1936" volume was terrible?
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2026 7:40 pm
by John Upham
John Townsend wrote: ↑Sat Mar 07, 2026 7:20 pm
Can anyone recollect which chess writer wrote, decades ago, that "New York, 1924" by Alekhine was an outstanding book but his "Nottingham, 1936" volume was terrible?
I'll bite...
Was it Richard Clewin Griffith?
I really do not know but his editorship of
BCM spanned 1920 until 1937. If not then I will have another stab.
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2026 9:10 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
His book on Nottingham is more biased, but I think its a stretch to describe it as "terrible".
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2026 9:48 am
by John Moore
William Winter, perhaps?
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2026 10:59 am
by John Upham
John Moore wrote: ↑Sun Mar 08, 2026 9:48 am
William Winter, perhaps?
That would be a decent punt. WW did tend to speak his mind a fair bit and probably not a big fan of AAs politics either.
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2026 4:20 pm
by John Upham
I attempted to cheat and "look-up" the answer in my 1937 BCM bound volume but failed miserably.
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2026 12:37 pm
by James Pratt
Was it you then, John?
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2026 10:06 am
by Mike Gunn
B.H. Wood?
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2026 12:11 pm
by John Townsend
Thanks for the feedback, but, having received several different guesses without sources, I have no straightforward way of verfiying which, if any, is correct. It wasn't a quiz question. I hoped that one of you would recall, from your copious leisure reading, who wrote that, as I would like to know.
Thanks again.
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2026 4:27 pm
by John Upham
I might have missed the review in BCM but I did check the indexes without luck.
I have volumes 1 & 2 of Chess but they are w/o indexes which makes it rather tedious to trawl through the whole thing.
Maybe someone could keyword search the online version if this exists?
J.
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2026 4:58 pm
by John Moore
I somehow doubt, for no particular reason, that it was in a review of the Nottingham tournament book. I think that it might have been considerably later and if it was, for example, William Winter, I'd be inclined to look in Kings of Chess or in the memoirs which were serialised in Chess in the early 60s. I no longer have access to either so this is all guesswork and not much help to John Townsend.
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2026 5:47 pm
by James Pratt
It was Golombek
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2026 6:30 pm
by John Townsend
Thanks, James. Could I have the source, please?
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2026 1:16 pm
by Geoff Chandler
My first thought was Abrahams but now James has mentioned Golombek, his piece on Alekhine in 'The Penguin Encyclopedia of Chess' states Alekhine's most important works were, his Best Games Vol's I and II and New York 1924. (no mention on Nottingham 1936.) so that gives a hint he was not too fond of the Nottingham book.
Re: Alekhine's books
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2026 2:07 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Golombek could be pretty judgemental about these things - I recall his introduction to the original edition of The Encyclopedia Of Chess, which was then undermined by the numerous errors in it (picked up by a youthful Edward Winter amongst others) The later paperback edition corrected at least some of them but also majorly toned down the original intro.