Page 1 of 1

Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2025 2:10 pm
by John Upham
Rather unexpectedly, I have received an invitation to the Howard Staunton Society Annual bash in Greek Street:
What is included:

Welcome glass of Crémant and canapés
Four-course dinner featuring seasonal British cuisine
Coffee and chocolate snails

You will receive a copy of the recent edition of the book 'Howard Staunton: The English World Chess Champion' by Raymond Keene OBE and R. N. Coles.

Menu:
Smoked haddock and quails' eggs
Roast duck à l'Anglaise
Steamed treacle roll
Grilled Stilton rarebit
Price: £95 per person
Due to a clash with a motor rally I had committed to I will have to decline.

Anyone from this place planning to attend?

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2025 9:44 pm
by James Pratt
Sounds a snip. Is Prince Andrew going?
James

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2025 10:11 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
James Pratt wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 31, 2025 9:44 pm
Sounds a snip. Is Prince Andrew going?
James
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor, shurely?

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2025 3:46 am
by James Pratt
The "recent" edition of Keene/Coles is now 50 years old.

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2025 12:11 pm
by NickFaulks
John Upham wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 31, 2025 2:10 pm
Menu:
Smoked haddock and quails' eggs
Roast duck à l'Anglaise
Steamed treacle roll
Grilled Stilton rarebit
Price: £95 per person

Due to a clash with a motor rally I had committed to I will have to decline.
I'm sure there will be someone present willing to eat yours.

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2025 5:15 pm
by John Upham
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 01, 2025 12:11 pm
I'm sure there will be someone present willing to eat yours.
Which reminds me, What dissuades polar bears from eating penguins?

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2025 5:44 pm
by Richard James
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 01, 2025 5:15 pm
NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 01, 2025 12:11 pm
I'm sure there will be someone present willing to eat yours.
Which reminds me, What dissuades polar bears from eating penguins?
Which answer would you prefer?

a) because polar bears are found in the Arctic and Penguins in the Antarctic

or

b) because they can't open the wrappers
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 31, 2025 10:11 pm


Andrew Mountbatten Windsor, shurely?
The Andrew formerly known as Prince?

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2025 6:01 pm
by John Upham
Richard James wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 01, 2025 5:44 pm

Which answer would you prefer?

a) because polar bears are found in the Arctic and Penguins in the Antarctic

or

b) because they can't open the wrappers
children in my school chess clubs usually give a) as their answer but they prefer b)

Don't forget that penguins are no longer covered in chocolate as the proportion of cocoa (in 2025) is less than the threshold to be defined as chocolate.

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2025 7:04 pm
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
Are you actually a member of the Howard Staunton Society, John?

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2025 10:12 am
by John Upham
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 01, 2025 7:04 pm
Are you actually a member of the Howard Staunton Society, John?
Not sure. Possibly someone has added me without my knowledge.

Is there a way of inspecting the membership list?

Are you a member Jon?

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2025 10:57 am
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
No, I'm not a member. It's not free: https://stauntonsociety.com/join-us

With the passing of Stewart Reuben I can't think of any well known, or even not so well known, figures in the chess community who would want to spend an evening in the company of Ray Keene OBE.

Re: Howard Staunton Society annual jolly

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2025 11:05 am
by John Upham
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 02, 2025 10:57 am
No, I'm not a member. It's not free: https://stauntonsociety.com/join-us

With the passing of Stewart Reuben I can't think of any well known, or even not so well known, figures in the chess community who would want to spend an evening in the company of Ray Keene OBE.

I guess Barry Martin, Ray Cannon and Jimmy Adams will be there.

Maybe our Wokingham / Bracknell correspondent will attend as an HS expert?

Luckily, I was already committed to a motor rally (a "12-car navigational rally").