Page 1 of 2

Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 4:21 am
by MJMcCready
From what I can gather, GM Miles appears to have had the misfortune of being defeated by queen sacrifices more than any other English GM. I thought it was only GM Plaskett who pulled that off against him but I was wrong, Kasparov and Georgiev also did. Did anyone else defeat him with a queen sacrifice and is this a record for an English GM in terms of such defeats?

GM Plaskett

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1097818

GM Kasparov

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070182

GM Georgiev

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1098271

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 6:48 am
by IM Jack Rudd
This is likely a function of how frequently they play, yesno? The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 7:03 am
by MJMcCready
IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑
Sun May 25, 2025 6:48 am
This is likely a function of how frequently they play, yesno? The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.
Are such games recorded or noteable even? I can't find any involving either of them.

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 9:34 am
by IM Jack Rudd
Here's one:

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Sun May 25, 2025 4:58 pm
by MJMcCready
Well played

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Wed May 28, 2025 7:40 pm
by Andrew Martin
Although I was on the receiving end,I always felt this was a great game by Jon:


https://zh.chesstempo.com/game-database ... in/2750211

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Wed May 28, 2025 8:56 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Andrew Martin wrote: ↑
Wed May 28, 2025 7:40 pm
Although I was on the receiving end,I always felt this was a great game by Jon:


https://zh.chesstempo.com/game-database ... in/2750211
That is very impressive, and a genuine long-term queen sacrifice. Why the Chinese-language (zh) domain of chesstempo though?

Jon S Speelman (2575) - Andrew D Martin (2300) 1-0
BCF-ch (Torquay) [6] 1982.8.??


Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Wed May 28, 2025 11:15 pm
by MJMcCready
Over twenty moves heavily down on material, no wonder he went on to become 3rd in the world.

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 2:57 am
by Geoff Chandler
Jack posted; 'The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.'
MJMcCready replied; 'I can't find any involving either of them.'

If the banner had been 'Queen Sacrifices Against English Players' we could include Keith Arkell vs Susan Caldwell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2281564 and Sheila Jackson vs Keith Arkell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1538664

Back to Englishmen and this is a good one. Gary Lane vs Keith Arkell, Paignton Open, 1988.


Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 2:03 pm
by MJMcCready
Fair point. I took an interest because I assumed that Queen sacrifices are the least commonly played sacrifices although having said that you don't see rook sacrifices very often either.

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:28 pm
by Keith Arkell
Geoff Chandler wrote: ↑
Thu May 29, 2025 2:57 am
Jack posted; 'The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.'
MJMcCready replied; 'I can't find any involving either of them.'

If the banner had been 'Queen Sacrifices Against English Players' we could include Keith Arkell vs Susan Caldwell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2281564 and Sheila Jackson vs Keith Arkell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1538664

Back to Englishmen and this is a good one. Gary Lane vs Keith Arkell, Paignton Open, 1988.

I'd forgotten I'd played Susan Caldwell before. We played once again in February this year, at the Cheadle Open. It can't be very often that 44 years go by between the first and second encounter between 2 players.

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:47 pm
by Richard James
Keith Arkell wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:28 pm
It can't be very often that 44 years go by between the first and second encounter between 2 players.
Nick Faulks and I can beat that by four years: our first encounter was in 1975 and our second in 2023. Neither game involved a queen sacrifice, though.

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:51 pm
by Ian Thompson
Keith Arkell wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:28 pm
I'd forgotten I'd played Susan Caldwell before. We played once again in February this year, at the Cheadle Open. It can't be very often that 44 years go by between the first and second encounter between 2 players.
Probably not, but it's not a record. I played Dave Hackett for the first time on 16 December 1978, at the Islington Intermediate, and for the second time on the 22 February 2025 in the Chiltern League - 46 years, 83 days later. That beat my previous record of playing Neil Bradbury for the first time on 27 April 1979, at the SCCU U18 championship, and for the second time on 7 May 2023 at the English O50 championship - 44 years, 10 days later.

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2025 4:08 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
I'm sure even 46 years is quite beatable.....

Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2025 4:10 pm
by Richard James
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 04, 2025 4:08 pm
I'm sure even 46 years is quite beatable.....
48 years by Nick Faulks and myself: see my post above.