Page 1 of 1
Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 3:19 pm
by John Townsend
How many world chess championship matches has Leonard Barden covered? Does he hold the world record?
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 4:36 pm
by Leonard Barden
30 so far, but I wouldn't hype that up by calling it a world record.
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 4:57 pm
by Nick Ivell
My first memory of Leonard is of the 1972 match. Luckily in 1974 I got to meet him and he even played through my games. It was a revelation.
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 5:49 pm
by John Townsend
Leonard Barden's reply is much appreciated. I do wonder what competition he may have around the 30 mark.
It may have been a tricky question to answer, owing to the complication of rival matches. In Edward Winter's C.N. 12033, reference is made to "the 1993 bifurcation", which taught me a new word.
According to Winter's feature article,
Leonard Barden
https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/barden.html
his
Evening Standard column began in early June 1956, so was his first championship match Smyslov v. Botvinnik 1957?
Leonard, which was the most exciting match?
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 6:13 pm
by Nick Ivell
Has anyone ever played through the Smyslov - Botvinnik matches? I have. All three. And I can tell you that most of these games are a hard slog!
I would be interested to hear Leonard's opinion.
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 6:38 pm
by John Townsend
I played chess at school in the late fifties, but I was not in touch with the world scene. The first matches I recall were Botvinnik v. Tal, 1960-1, when a school friend educated me. They were real matches. In our games, my friend played some of Tal's aggressive moves in the openings, which led to interesting positions. It was a great shame when Tal lost the second match!
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 7:06 pm
by Nick Ivell
Botvinnik v Tal was a different ball game. As for Botvinnik v Smyslov, well, I can imagine the young Fischer playing through those games and thinking 'I can do better than this wood pushing'.
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 7:17 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Slightly unfair, there were some absolutely terrific B v S efforts - number 14 in the 1954 match, for example.
When you have 24 game slugfests, not every encounter is going to be memorable.
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 7:22 pm
by Nick Ivell
Agreed, there were some great games - but look at the matches in the round. There were some very average games too - dull is not too strong a word.
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 7:30 pm
by Nick Ivell
I never realised this until I took it upon myself to play through all the games. Let's face it, how many people do this? My guess is, not many. Try it - if you can get through to the end!
I still imagine the young RJF playing through this stuff.
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 7:58 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
I used to have the Batsford book(s) with all the WC games until the 1980s, so played through the lot at some point.
What can be said beyond reasonable doubt is that the worst efforts in the 19th century matches were very bad indeed

Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 8:07 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑Sun Nov 24, 2024 7:58 pm
I used to have the Batsford book(s) with all the WC games until the 1980s, so played through the lot at some point.
What can be said beyond reasonable doubt is that the worst efforts in the 19th century matches were very bad indeed
Go on. Give us an example... (though I think I know what you mean).
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2024 8:10 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
I don't have the book anymore, but eg some of those Chigorin v Steinitz games with the Evans Gambit - were they even proper chess?
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2024 9:42 am
by Mike Gunn
I recall playing through all the moves of the 1966 Petrosian vs Spassky match day by day with fellow pupils in the school lunch hour. (One of us would turn up with a Times newspaper that used to print the moves.) I also recall debates about exactly Petrosian was trying to achieve with his moves (none of us had read Nimzowitsch' My System by then).
Re: Leonard Barden: world chess championship matches
Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2024 10:07 am
by John Upham
How many recent standardplay matches have been decided by games of a faster time control?
How many SP matches have not featured a decisive SP game?