Chess study in the first half of the twentieth century
Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:32 pm
My first reaction to reading in the thread about Golombek that had failed his university exams in the early 1930s was that he might have been neglecting his studies in favour of chess.
On reflection I am not sure that is a plausible theory. I am sure Botvinnik was working on chess in a professional manner at that time. But I do not think his methods were widely adopted until after the Second World War. I am unclear how much time strong players spent on chess or how they worked on it in the 20s and 30s.
Can anyone share anything worth reading on this topic?
On reflection I am not sure that is a plausible theory. I am sure Botvinnik was working on chess in a professional manner at that time. But I do not think his methods were widely adopted until after the Second World War. I am unclear how much time strong players spent on chess or how they worked on it in the 20s and 30s.
Can anyone share anything worth reading on this topic?