Page 1 of 1

The Worst Chess Column in History

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:09 am
by Gerard Killoran
I came across this 'explanation' of the Four Knights...

Portadown Times - Wednesday 17 November 1976 p.15.png
Portadown Times - Wednesday 17 November 1976 p.15.png (197.18 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

To illustrate the complexities of the position, the reader was provided with the following diagram

Portadown Times - Diagram.png
Portadown Times - Diagram.png (367.25 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

Re: The Worst Chess Column in History

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:37 am
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
I was surprised to discover that 4. ... Bc5 is more popular than 4. ... Nxe4
https://www.365chess.com/opening.php?m= ... g_explorer
though the latter is much more successful for Black.

4. ... h6 languishes in 5th place.

Re: The Worst Chess Column in History

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:37 am
by Roger de Coverly
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote: ↑
Thu May 30, 2024 10:37 am
I was surprised to discover that 4. ... Bc5 is more popular than 4. ... Nxe4
The fork trick pops up in a number of openings. Unless you know the theory inside out, it can be difficult to decide whether to play it or not. Playing 4. .. Bc5 reaches a position many will have known from their days as beginners.



Kramnik came up with a plan of playing 5. d3 and then 6. Nd5

Re: The Worst Chess Column in History

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 2:38 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Do we know anything more of the author?

Re: The Worst Chess Column in History

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 4:20 pm
by John Upham
According to

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

both the Portadown Times and the Lurgan Mail had regular chess columns at this time.

I know nothing of the author in the above case.

Re: The Worst Chess Column in History

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 4:20 pm
by Gerard Killoran
I feel bad now as he was at school at the time, and captained his team to a trophy, which is more than ever I did.

I hope he stuck with chess.
Portadown News _ Friday 27 May 1977 _p4a.png
Portadown News _ Friday 27 May 1977 _p4a.png (264.42 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Portadown News _ Friday 27 May 1977 _p4b.png
Portadown News _ Friday 27 May 1977 _p4b.png (114.46 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

Re: The Worst Chess Column in History

Posted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:33 pm
by MJMcCready
That is bad indeed but in terms of writing a column that left a lot to be desired and being allowed to get away with it -he's not the alone there. But there are some good ones too!