K. W. Lloyd

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
John Saunders

Re: K. W. Lloyd

Post by John Saunders » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:35 pm

Re Ken Lloyd: a mini-biography of him appears in my Varsity Match biography file...

https://www.saund.org.uk/britbase/pgn/v ... #1958lloyd

... with links through to the three Varsity matches in which he played. The 1959 and 1960 match pages both include team photographs in which he appears, lent to me by Philip Meade.

I recall him playing for Cobham in a few matches with Mitcham in the 1990s.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:29 pm

John Saunders wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:35 pm

I recall him playing for Cobham in a few matches with Mitcham in the 1990s.
That's right we played Mitcham in the Surrey Trophy and Alexander Cup in 1995/96, I played Connor O'Shaughnessy in both matches.
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:44 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:51 pm
John Townsend wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:22 pm
Before we enquire into K. W. Lloyd, I suggest that it is established whether he has died, as there could be an ethical problem with investigating someone who is still alive.
I see no problem at all in trying to establish if a once strong and prominent British player is still alive (and if not, when they died)
I wrote a longer post on this last night, which got lost in the glitch that sometimes happens where you get logged out.

In essence, I agree with John Townsend that it does feel wrong to have *public* discussions over people who may still be alive. There are at least four scenarios I can think of where the public have no right to know whether someone is still living or not.

If information is in the public domain (including whether someone has died), that is fine. But some degree of caution is needed, both here (though I appreciate that this thread started with an appeal from a researcher writing, even if tangentially, on the topic) and in other cases such as the circumstances of David Sherman (see the 'Lost Souls' thread).

Some elements of such discussions may be best conducted by private correspondence, rather than in public.

Neil Blackburn

Post by Neil Blackburn » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:27 pm

There is a picture of Lloyd from 1949 in the first part of my Malcolm Barker trilogy.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:43 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:44 am

In essence, I agree with John Townsend that it does feel wrong to have *public* discussions over people who may still be alive. There are at least four scenarios I can think of where the public have no right to know whether someone is still living or not.
This forum periodically discusses people who are alive (for example, prominent ECF personages) and people who are dead (complete thread devoted to the subject) so I'm not entirely clear why discussion is inappropriate simply because we don't know which of these categories applies.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:53 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:43 pm

This forum periodically discusses people who are alive (for example, prominent ECF personages) and people who are dead (complete thread devoted to the subject) so I'm not entirely clear why discussion is inappropriate simply because we don't know which of these categories applies.
As I said; "There are at least four scenarios I can think of where the public have no right to know whether someone is still living or not."

Privacy of medical information (for living people) is the one I was mainly thinking of, but there are others as well.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:31 pm

Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:53 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:43 pm

As I said; "There are at least four scenarios I can think of where the public have no right to know whether someone is still living or not."

Privacy of medical information (for living people) is the one I was mainly thinking of, but there are others as well.
Granted but death certificates, along with birth and marriage certificates, in England & Wales are considered public records. I can''t vouch for jurisdictions where the public may "have no right to know whether someone is still living or not" but that doesn't appear to be the case in E&W.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:23 am

Another pupil of King Edward's School, Birmingham - various references in the (online) school magazine.
(A casual glance reveal he represented the school at (Eton) fives, in partnership with AC Smith, the future test cricketer.)